I spend what some would consider an unreasonable amount of time listening to podcasts everyday. Remember when we talked about my favorite Radiolab episodes? Well there's more where that came from! Here are five of the more political podcasts that keep me both educated and sufficiently entertained during long commutes.
5. Our Hen House is Jasmin Singer and Mariann Sullivan. This dynamic lesbian duo has created a powerhouse podcast under the catchphrase "a place to find our way to change the world for animals." Their website offers all sorts of helpful tips for activists and their 100+ podcasts offer lots of amazing interviews with people like Kathy Freston and Peter Singer, restaurant reviews and vegan news to keep both long time activists and newbies coming back for more.
image via Marc Faletti on flickr
4. Reality Cast is a weekly podcast from RHReality Check by feminist Amanda Marcotte, writer for Pandagon, about sexual and reproductive health news. Biting commentary and insightful interviews keep you in the loop in a time when aggressive attacks to American women's reproductive rights have reached startling levels.
image via Austin Chronicle
3. Opinionated is a weekly podcast of "the feminists you were warned about" with once again Amanda Marcotte, but this time in conjunction with Samhita Mukhopadhyay of feministing.
image via CS Muncy on flickr
2. Citizen Radio is the daily podcast, Monday - Friday, by stand-up comedian Jamie Kilsten and reporter Allison Kilkenny bringing you real news not covered by the mainstream media in an unabashedly humorous and quite possibly offensive way. Since they are listener supported (just like Autostraddle!) they can say basically whatever they want. Jamie and Allison interview all kinds of interesting people like Russell Simmons and Noam Chomsky, and have branched out to create the aforementioned Opinionated feminist radio show as part of their expanding Citizen Radio Productions. (They'd like to host an LGBT podcast too, so let's hope that happens).
1. This is like the free space on Bingo because obviously it's The Rachel Maddow Show! She is eye candy, can mix a mean cocktail and also happens to be a fabulous source of news. Hook yourself up with this podcast every Monday – Friday.
I subscribe to all of these podcasts using iTunes, but the Stitcher radio app is also super easy, or you can just stream them online.
What news podcasts do you recommend? Do you know of any awesome queer politics podcasts?