Hello and thank you for your interest in writing for Autostraddle! We are looking for submissions in the following categories:
- Contemporary LGBTQ Herstory: October is LGBTQ History Month and we’re looking for new lessons on everything queer in pop culture, activism, parenting, politics and policies. Tell us something we don’t know about the leaders, styles, language, watershed moments that helped move the needle in the last 50-100 years. Formats can include longform storytelling, original reporting, lists, and photoessays. Don’t be afraid of being too niche or too lengthy — there’s no such thing here.
We’re especially interested in honoring and learning more from and about the queer people of color whose contributions are often overlooked. Please take a look at our archives before submitting your pitch to make sure you’re coming in with the freshest possible ideas!
- Personal essays or feature articles on topics related to queer, feminist, butch/masculine-of-center, and/or outsider culture. We’re looking for really good stories, new angles, edgy style, unique arguments, keen intellect and searing wit.
- Funny shit
- Fashion & Beauty
- Sex, relationships & dating
We are not looking for:
- Callout posts
- Academic papers
- Why [x] is [problematic] [-ist]
We are especially interested in submissions from:
- Butch / masculine-of center women
- People of color
- People over 45+
- Trans women
Payment: We are an independent publication with a tight budget, but we’re committed to paying all our writers, although we recognize that it’s not as much as we’d like to or as much as you deserve. Usually this falls within the $40-$150 range. We are particularly inclined to compensate writers at higher rates who are QTPOC, professionals turning in work that doesn’t require editing/revisions, pitching a story from a perspective or on a subject which is underrepresented on the site.
Original Feature Journalism/Reporting:
If you have reporting experience and are interested in writing a reported, feature-style longform piece (3,000+ words) that tells a gripping, nuanced story that is relevant to our community with photo or other multi-media elements, feel free to pitch us your idea with a budget. Depending on the scope of the story, your experience and our estimation of the story’s potential reach, we are open to negotiations up to $1,200 as well as expenses covered, but will be very selective as we can only afford a few of these each year.
This includes investigative journalism as well as pop culture stories like oral histories of queer or queer-adjacent TV shows and movies, 3,000+ word celebrity profiles of famous lesbian, queer, bisexual and/or trans women, with photographs (or we’ll pair you with a photographer) or behind-the-scenes of a queer TV show / set visit. We’re also eager for pieces on social phenomenons and relationships, like this or this or this.
For all submissions, please include your rates if relevant.