It’s Thanksgiving Day and our Autostraddle team is feeling super duper thankful; here are 100 reasons why!
1. Autostraddle commenters! Autostraddle readers! THE PERSON LOOKING AT THIS RIGHT NOW, BASICALLY. Y’all are our lifeblood, and I love each and every one of you. (Carmen)
2. This Autostraddle family who pulled me into their warm embrace when I joined the team a year ago and have loved me wholly every moment since then, changing the shape of my entire world. (Heather)
3. I’m thankful for my knee-high Google socks. My tootsies are warm and geeky. (Lyn)
4. I am, first and foremost, and at every moment of every day, grateful for my dog and his fuzzy little butt. (Carmen)
5. I’m thankful for Heather Hogan, who’s made my life better and brighter and too many ways to count. (Mey)
6. The Autostraddle community and my other friends, who reach out to me when I’m at my most depressed. (Mey)
7. Every season of A Different World being added to Netflix. (Erin)
8. I’m thankful for my cats who have not peed on my clothes in almost two months. (Alaina)
9. I’m thankful for all the feelings I have had this year in spite of my determined resolve not to feel feelings. (Audrey)
10. A-Camp! (Bren)
11. Electric heated blankets. (Rachel)
12. OtterBox iPhone cases.
13. My girlfriend, who did triple-duty this year as my fellow puppy mama, driving instructor, and partner-in-crime. (Carmen)
14. My very perfect fiancée. (Ali)
15. The Nothing in the House Pie blog. (Aisha)
16. My partner, Stacy, by whose side I always feel the safest and the happiest and the calmest and the very most me-est. (Heather)
17. Emotion by Carly Rae Jepson. (Mey)
18. Steven Universe and how Mey insisted that I watch it. (Heather)
19. The times my cat sleeps sweetly in my lap instead of biting my face.
20. That all the stray cats on our block somehow know to come and chill at our house. (Aja)
21. I’m thankful for my girlfriend’s tongue. Because, yes. (Lyn)
22. SCOTUS’ marriage equality ruling and Autostraddle/my friends understanding it was just one more stop, not the final battle.
23. I am thankful for the dangling roots I have trailing behind me all the way to Nicaragua. (Audrey)
24. Working for a website where trans women write about (or at the very, very least consult on) trans topics, and center the discussion on TWOC.
25. That the Bobbis survived and that you you loved them enough to help make it so. (Heather)
26. Teeth. (Laura M)
27. “Timber” by Pitbull feat. Kesha
28. Authors who aren’t afraid to tackle intellectual topics and approach difficult emotional arenas with all the nuance they deserve. (Ali)
29. Gracious tippers.
30. Free refills. (Isabel)
31. I’m thankful for all the little separate communities that I call my families. I have about four separate groups and that makes my little heart full of joy. (Nikki)
32. All of the Autostraddle Senior Editors, especially Riese, who not only gave me my dream job, but also who made it possible for me to get my legal name change this year. (Mey)
33. Working as an intern for one of the coolest, indie queer website in all the land. I don’t think I would of made the jumps and leaps and bounds that I did this last year personally as a human in this world had it not been for this intern opportunity. I will be forever grateful to have a position that day by day builds my confidence level. (Nikki)
34. The writers and artists and letterers and colorists and editors and everyone else who makes all the comics I love. (Mey)
35. My mom, who has always been my greatest ally and champion, even when I’m being a diva. (Maree)
36. Generous pours. (Erin)
37. I’m thankful for my kids- they make life brighter, funnier, and more interesting. (Lyn)
38. Pumpkin spice lattes. I’m not sorry at all. (Carmen)
39. That my girlfriend thinks I’m funny. (Aisha)
40. Inside jokes with my girls. (Aja)
41. The park near my house. (Maddie)
42. Demi Lovato. (Laura M) [Yes, I second this one. (Mey)]
43. Rye whiskey. (Ali)
44. PUPPIES! And also kittens, but mostly puppies. (Bren)
45. That so far my doctor hasn’t taken a real hard line on me cutting down on coffee. (Rachel)
46. That Glee is over forever and I never have to recap it again. (Heather)
47. Secret Twitter. (Mey)
48. This Ravenclaw Common Room Soundscape. Ravenclaw 4ever! (Ali)
49. Google Maps. (Heather)
50. Shondaland/TGIT (Isabel)
51. How many people have joined A+ to help us all buy groceries and pay rent, and been so warm and supportive as A+ members, and made Cobalt memberships such a smashing success! (Rachel)
52. “What’s good, Miley?”
53. Sadie and Karly, Autostraddle’s TV interns! (Heather)
54. Dogs in t-shirts.
55. Netflix’s decision to make TV and fuck broadcast network Standards & Practices.
56. My fiancée’s family, who have welcomed me in with their entire hearts even though I’m way too enthusiastic and make them play boardgames. (Ali)
57. My funny, kind, amazing roommates, Taty and Claudia. I feel really blessed to live with them. (Laura M)
58. Boardgames. (Ali)
59. J.K. Rowling on Twitter.
60. Gotta thank Jenna Lyons for finally making a fancy hat I look and feel good wearing! Thanks, J. Crew! (Aja)
61. President Obama’s DEALWITHIT.GIF attitude during his final year of the presidency.
62. Burt’s Bees lip balm. (Heather)
63. My mom, and my mom reading Autostraddle. (Hi Mom, I love you!) (Rachel)
64. I’m thankful for Black and Pink for giving me the opportunity to find a new pen pal who has become one of my greatest friends. I’m so happy we’re in each other’s lives! (Alaina)
65. I’m thankful for my turtle! (Maddie)
66. My Autostraddle family. (Ali)
67. Whoever decided capes were a 2015 fall trend. (Audrey)
68. The power of Twitter to bypass traditional methods of communication/getting news and effect real social change.
69. Stef’s original drawings in her Vapid Fluff columns.
70. I’m going to have to say puppies too. Specifically, my puppies. (Aisha)
72. NYC’s ASPCA and all the resources and training programs they offer to help people help animals. (Heather)
73. Poppy bagels. (Crystal)
74. Cat Vines.
75. The women who started #BlackLivesMatter
76. The fact that I DO have clothes they were just all at my parents’ house. Also: my parents. Such goofballs. (Aisha)
77. The ability to review the photos people tag of me on Facebook before my grandma sees them.
78. Alternative Lifestyle Haircuts (Nikki)
79. That Dogmeat can’t die in Fallout 4.
80. Harry Potter Weekends (Isabel)
81. Girls in snapbacks.
82. Climate scientists and their hard work to prevent humanity from wrecking itself. (Ali)
83. Every time Scully says “sure, fine, whatever,” with thinly veiled disgust (Rachel)
84. Carol, man. Carol, Carol, Carol. (Heather)
85. All the people who teach me things, from my friends and family, to Autostraddle readers and writers and editors, to the kids I babysit. (Maddie)
86. Candles (Alaina)
87. That Amy Poehler came back for more Wet Hot American Summer.
88. That I’m in the graduate program I’m in (The New School, Creative Writing Department) and that I can take this time in my life to write a novel. I am my happiest every day I’m writing.
89. Ellen DeGeneres and Ellen Page Ellen-ing together on TV and making the world a more Ellen-y place.
90. The fact that pigeons can be trained to detect cancer. (Aisha)
91. Samira Wiley’s Instagram.
92. Those little mice who find land mines! (Alaina)
93. Trader Joe’s really loose definition of “humus.”
94. Kind friends and readers who let me learn in public without public shame. (Ali)
95. #BooRadleyVanCullen (Heather)
96. That my cat sticks her tongue out sometimes involuntarily when you scratch that one spot above her tail. (Rachel)
97. How Drunk History has had at least one woman storyteller per episode this season and one historical woman. (Heather)
98. K-I-S-S-I-N-G. (Heather)
99. The Great British Bake Off (Ali) (co-signed by Alaina) (co-co-signed by Heather)
100. In-N-Out grilled cheese, animal style. (Carmen)