Hello and welcome to this thing we’re doing where we help you figure out what you’re gonna put in your mouth this week. Some of these are recipes we’ve tried, some of these are recipes we’re looking forward to trying, all of them are fucking delicious. Tell us what you want to put in your piehole or suggest your own recipes, and we’ll talk about which things we made, which things we loved, and which things have changed us irreversibly as people. Last week, we got ready for that potluck.
I have spent over half of my lifetime munching on leaves to survive, you guys. I gave up meat when I was 12 – TWELVE! – and I’ve spent over a decade since learning to feed myself. Luckily, being a vegetarian comes easy to me because I could literally eat leaves for the rest of my life, AKA bowls of salad. What could be better than salad, after all? Fresh things in a big bowl! Crunchy, juicy, crispy, hydrating, refreshing, AMAZING shit in a bowl. I’d worry about what dressing to buy but I’m too busy drooling on myself.
Here’s some inspiration for how to chomp down on lettuce, cabbage, herbs, and a lot of the amazing shit Mother Earth gave you ’cause she loves you.
1. Mediterranean Chopped Salad
2. Herbed Quinoa Salad
3. Leftover Salad Nicoise
4. Lemon Parmesan Kale Salad
5. Tiger Salad
6. Tex-Mex Margarita Chicken Salad
7. Fish Taco Salad
8. Italian Chopped Salad with Marinated Chickpeas
9. Red Oak Leaf Salad with Chopped Egg and Red Wine Walnut Oil Dressing
10. Vegetarian Mexican Salad Boats
11. Shrimp Cobb Salad with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
12. Dale’s Can’t Stop Eating It Salad
13. Vegan Winter Taco Salad
14. Dr. Feel Good Salad: Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, Pesto Salad
15. Garlic-Roasted Butternut Squash and Kale Wheatberry Salad with Pomegranate
16. Garden Salad with Lime Cilantro Dressing
17. Wilamette Valley Salad
18. Pomegranate, Pear, Pistachio Salad with Creamy Pomegranate Dressing
19. Sriracha Lime Chicken Salad
20. Beauchamp Orchard Salad
21. Healthy Chef Salad
22. Broccoli Salad with Bacon, Raisins, and Cheddar Cheese
23. Greek Salad
24. Avocado, Pancetta, and Pine Nut Salad
25. Baby Arugula, Cranberry, Pecan and Feta Salad
26. Raw Kale Salad
27. Layered Taco Salad
28. Steak Salad with Grapes, Walnuts, and Blue Cheese
29. Powerhouse Bulgur Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
30. Maple Roasted Acorn Squash Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
31. Cherry Walnut Chicken Salad
32. Maple Roasted Butternut Squash Freekeh Salad with Kale
33. Broccoli Grape Cucumber Salad
34. Strawberry, Kiwi, and Lime Salad
35. Shaved Fennel Salad
36. Japanese Sunshine Salad with Carrot and Ginger Dressing
37. Green Kale Salad
38. Apple Kale & Pomegranate Salad
39. Cajun Turkey and Fresh Melon Salad
40. Layered Asian Salad
41. Blue Cheese Wedge Salad
42. Outback Steakhouse Wedge Salad
43. Greek Yogurt Shrimp, Avocado, and Tomato Salad
44. Grilled Veggies and Mozzarella Salad
45. Oriental Cabbage and Cranberry Salad
46. Chinese Chicken Salad with Sesame Dressing
47. Grilled Watermelon Salad
48. Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad with Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
49. Bacon and Brussels Sprouts Salad
50. Herb Salad with Creamy Lemon Dressing
51. Ina Garten’s Cape Cod Chopped Salad
52. Roasted Mushroom and Romaine Salad
53. Portillo’s Chopped Salad
54. Pad Thai Salad
55. Crunchy Cabbage Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing
56. Creamy Mexican Kale Salad
57. Raspberry and Scallop Salad
58. Brain Power Salad with Blueberries, Salmon, Spinach, and Avocado
59. Sizzling Cilantro Lime Fajita Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette
60. Avocado Caprese Salad
61. Honey Crisp Apple Salad with Candied Walnuts and Sweet Spiced Cider Vinaigrette
62. Crispy Kale Roasted Salad with Brie Grilled Cheese Croutons
63. Arugula Salad
64. Kale, Cabbage, and Carrot Salad
65. Warm Cauliflower Salad
66. Superfood Kale Avocado Salad
67. Balsamic Honey Grilled Steak Salad and Vinaigrette
68. BBQ Chicken Salad
69. Fig, Blue Cheese, and Bacon Salad with Fried Shallots
70. Caesar Salad
71. Autumn Chopped Salad
72. Garlic-Roasted Butternut Squash and Kale Wheatberry Salad with Pomegranate
73. Chopped Ahi Tuna Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing
74. Mushroom, Lemon and Lentil Salad
75. Grilled Zucchini Ribbon and Kale Salad
76. Shrimp, Avocado & Roasted Corn Salad
77. Tuscan Kale Salad with Oranges, Currants and Feta
78. Citrus Lobster Salad
79. Southwestern Chopped Salad with Cilantro Dressing
80. Grape, Avocado and Arugula Salad
81. White Bean Spring Salad
82. Jalapeño Cornbread Panzanella Salad
83. Asparagus Egg and Bacon Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
84. Arugula Skirt Steak Salad with Caramelized Pears, Pecans, and Gorgonzola
85. Nuts About Berries Salad
86. Honey Mustard Chicken Chopped Salad
87. Ramen Noodle Salad
88. Kale Salad with Warm Cranberry Vinaigrette
89. BLT Chopped Salad
90. BBQ Salmon and Crispy Chickpea Salad with Greek Yogurt Ranch Drizzle
91. Root Vegetable Salad with Balsamic-Date Dressing
92. Grilled Summer Veggies Salad
93. Quinoa Tabouli Salad
94. Grilled Balsamic Portobello Mushroom & Steak Salad
95. Mojito Tofu Salad
96. Curried Tofu Salad
97. Sticky Caramel Pork Belly Salad
98. Avocado Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
99. Steak and Tortellini Salad
100. Skinny Taco Salad
Hey Carmen, I have a confession. I am broke and in college and haven’t bought groceries for three weeks. It felt like it was getting to the point where I needed divine intervention to actually eat something healthy for once.
This was it. This was the motivation I needed.
#32 is dinner. bless you.
very glad to be doing god’s work over here
Whoever thought up grilled cheese croutons should be sainted.
Unfortunately I don’t think it’s possible to make some of these salads in full because pomegranate isn’t in season right now. :-( Otherwise, this all looks good, and almost makes me want to go back to eating meat and dairy.
i hate pomegranates (unpopular opinion) so definitely did not realize this but also, there’s so many salads to make in the meantime! salad all day salad all night etc.
No joke i’ve made the #56 creamy mexican kale salad 5 times over the past two weeks without knowing it. Great minds think alike, people. This salad is bomb af (protip tho: use pre-made guac if you can, it cuts down on the chopping) Thanks for the great list, Carmen!
Also, #88 kale salad w/ warm cranberry vinaigrette is amazing. It may not look like much, but I made it for this past thanksgiving and everyone loved it (and my family hates vegetables)
i need you to send your salad spirit my way and give me the grace of god to make these complicated but amazing things right up there, okay? okay.
I feel like this Facebook sticker perfectly sums up my feelings about this post.
Your avatar also matches nicely. :D
One of my biggest/only complaints about AS is that we don’t have adorable animal emoji built in.
my self portrait
This is overwhelming and inspiring and makes me even more excited for spring. I want to try them all! Especially #54, 58, and 73.
right?! i literally have wanted to put an entire head of lettuce in my mouth since i wrote this.
This post came just in time, I’ve quite literally been searching for recipes just like these. My girlfriend just lost a lot of weight and has suggested (see: decided ;)) that we’re going to start eating healthier. I have no problem with this as that’s how I was brought up. However, it’s not how I was taught to cook. I figured I’d start with salads and here we are. Thanks so much!
happy to help and hope it’s a delicious journey from here!
I see salads I have made and loved, and salads I WILL make and love.
If you can’t be bothered with lettuce or it always goes bad before you use it all, grow a potted basil plant and use basil leaves instead. Time and money saver and it’s always fresh.
Sliced tomato, sliced avocado, basil leaves, gorgonzola, sliced carrot (or something else colorful and crunchy).
Salt and pepper. Douse with balsamic. For extra protein and calories, top with peanuts / tuna / chick peas / hard-boiled egg / raisins / what-you-like. Cronsh away!
YAY! Thank you! I’ve already made one of these salads (roasted mushroom&romaine) and it was delicious!