THIS JUST IN! Clementine Ford clears the air: ” It should just be these people are gay and it’s part of life. I think with that article, and what came across as ambiguity, was actually my attempt at making it a nonissue. I am gay,” she tells Advocate.com. “I just wanted there not to be this big emphasis on it.”
Today is a very interesting gay news day, for real. We take two steps forward, we take two steps back …
1. Showtime is combining my two favorite things in the world — Intervention and lesbians — with the new documentary “Way Out,” which has just launched a nationwide search for gays & lesbians who want to come out to their families on television. (@pr web)
2. A new report shows that the Lack of Lesbian, Gay, Transgender Rights in Europe Still Dramatic. (@UK Gay News)
3. Nine students are suspended at Oprah’s school in South Africa for lesbian behavior. (@pink news uk)
4. e-harmony launches gay & lesbian website called “Compatible Partners” to “help gay and lesbian singles to find long-term relationships.” I think that means this is not Manhunt. (@socaltech)
“It’s shows like this one that got Tyra Banks a GLAAD Media Award for shining light on GLBT issues.” (@queerty)
6. We love this guy (he’s a Rosie-cruise regular), and also, love that in the wake of Prop 8, more and more gays & lesbians are seeing the importance of “putting it all out there”: Hottie Gavin Creel may not take it all off in the Broadway revival of Hair, but he does put it all out there in his first interview with Advocate.com. Yep…he’s gay. (@the advocate)
7. A lesbian mother will likely be deported from her home in California and sent back to the Philippines, separating her from her 12-year old twin sons and her life partner. This would not happen if she was heterosexual. (@the advocate)
I struggled to describe my pick today. I guess I’ll say it’s an interesting animated interpretation of Little Red Riding Hood, put to the music of Royksopp. You can view it here. [Thanks to Kate for the link].
This has nothing to do with girls or anything cute but it’s a heads-up from your tech friend (that’s me). Windows users: tomorrow is the day that the Conficker worm will activate. It’s lurking dormant on millions of PCs as we speak and tomorrow it’s going to … do … something. No one really knows what, specifically, but it’s nothing to be super worried about. If your system is patched and up to date, you’re probably fine. And it’s removable, too. Read up on it over at Gizmodo.
Before you go! It takes funding to keep this publication by and for queer women and trans people of all genders running every day. We will never put our site behind a paywall because we know how important it is to keep Autostraddle free. But that means we rely on the support of our A+ Members. Still, 99.9% of our readers are not members. A+ membership starts at just $4/month. If you’re able to, will you join A+ and keep Autostraddle here and working for everyone?