Half an hour after the Supreme Court announced its historic 5-4 decision to make marriage equality a 50-state reality in the United States, it became apparent to our entire Autostraddle dot com staff that we weren’t going to be able to do anything but cry and laugh and cry some more all day today. Such jubilation! Such celebration! So many tears! Here are the 25 things that made us cry (and cry-laugh) the most (in no particular order).
1. Justice Kennedy’s majority opinion
2. President Obama’s speech
3. The White House changing its social media profile photos
4. This mental image of Joe Biden
5. Congressman John Lewis’s response
Races don't fall in love, genders don't fall in love–people fall in love. #SCOTUSMarriage
— John Lewis (@repjohnlewis) June 26, 2015
7. Deep south states issuing marriage licenses to gay couples
Special note: this first picture features SARAH, former Managing Editor of Autostraddle.com!
— Greg Bluestein (@bluestein) June 26, 2015
— Hidalgo County (@HidalgoCounty) June 26, 2015
— Steven Hale (@iamstevenhale) June 26, 2015
8. Notorious RBG Memes
— Real LGBTQ+ Stories (@FirstPersonPBS) June 26, 2015
10. Taylor Hatmaker’s insight
11. Big Gay Branding
364 days a year, we hate big gay branding. But today? Today is not like those other days. Also ice cream is delicious.
12. The true reality of marriage equality
— Tom Gibbons (@dthomasg) June 26, 2015
Those people ate all that Chic Fil A for nothing.
— Evan (@elsplice) June 26, 2015
15. Laneia and Megan’s wedding photos
16. Vox’s visual marriage equality retrospective
17. Samira Wiley’s Mom
18. OMG Seattle!
— seattle (@Bipartisan206) June 26, 2015
19. Supergay Superheroes
— Michael Li 李之樸 (@mcpli) June 26, 2015
20. The first couple to marry in Dallas County
— Arezow Doost (@ArezowDoost) June 26, 2015
21. Mari’s wedding photos
22. President Obama calling Jim Obergefell
23. This Republican commentator
Who was moved to tears by the response of gay people outside the Supreme Court.
24. Robin and Carly’s wedding
25. This meme
26. Aja & M’s Wedding Photos
27. Lauren Morelli and Samira Wiley being adorable
28. This Video
29. Gabby and Laura in D.C. for the big day
“Gabby and I just got interviewed by Univision and when they asked how we feel about the marriage decision, Gabby pulled a Selena and said “Estoy muy excited.”” – Laura
30. YOU GUYS
It is so ordered! Stay hydrated and have one hell of a Pride weekend! We fucking love you!