Earlier this month, Apple unveiled several new and updated products — among them, the new fancy iPod Nano with touchscreen. I like Apple as much as the next gadget-obsessed girl, but I lovvvvve CAKE. And so, despite already owning three iPods (don’t ask — it just happened that way), the new Nano commercial featuring CAKE’s “Short Skirt/Long Jacket” stole my heart. Watch it below.
I don’t have much to say about the new Nano, aside for acknowledging it doubles as an incredibly sleek but impractical wristwatch, so I’ll take this opportunity to turn the attention to CAKE.
The Sacramento-based band is one of my favorites. I love the baritone sing-speak vocals, lightly distorted guitar, funky bass, unexpectedly prominent trumpet solos, and the country music flavors. Yet most know CAKE for its radio singles, like “The Distance,” “Never There,” “Short Skirt/Long Jacket,” which don’t really combine all of the above. While these are great songs, they neither capture what I love most about CAKE nor depth of their discography.
If I could, Autostraddlers, I would make you all a mix CD of my favorite CAKE songs. But because there are just too many of you, I will settle for a top 10 list and hope that you listen.
My Top 10 Favorite Songs By CAKE
1. “Mexico” from Prolonging The Magic
2. “Stickshifts and Safety Belts” from Fashion Nugget
3. “Sheep Go To Heaven” from Prolonging The Magic
4. “Italian Leather Sofa” from Fashion Nugget
5. “Pentagram” from Motorcade of Generosity
6. “Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love To Town” from B-Sides and Rarities
7. “Jolene” from Motorcade of Generosity
8. “Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps” from Fashion Nugget
9. “Satan Is My Motor” from Prolonging The Magic
10. “You Turn The Screws” from Prolonging The Magic
Did I leave out anyone’s favorites? Are there any CAKE-lovers or haters among us? Let us know in the comments!