For me, and many other trans women, A-Camp is one of the few spaces where we can feel safe and welcome and affirmed as the queer women that we are. It’s a really great place where you can take a break from the often tedious and exhausting, and sometimes frightening and depressing world that likes to beat us up. It’s a place that refreshes you and reminds you that there are good things, places and people in the world, and that there are people willing to fight for your right to be happy and safe in women’s spaces. If this kind of break up in the California mountains with a few hundred other queer women and folks sounds like something you could use, than I’ve got some super great news for you!
A trans woman, member of the Autostraddle community and former A-Camper would like to send one lucky trans woman to A-Camp this year! This is seriously amazing and she’s amazing (not just for doing this, she’s a really cool person) and I’m so thankful that she’s giving a trans woman the chance to go to camp. It’s not just that she’s giving one trans woman the chance to go to camp for free, but she’s also paying for them to get there. We ask that you apply for this campership only if you otherwise wouldn’t be able to go to camp. This contest is open until next Friday, April 15th, and we’ll pick the winner over the weekend and announce it on Monday, April 18th.
What You’ll Win
- Airfare or other travel expenses to Los Angeles (this is even open to international travellers!)
- Full paid tuition, including meals and lodging
- A wonderful, unforgettable experience
How to Win This Campership
- Be a trans woman (non-binary trans women count)
- Be available to go to A-Camp in California from May 29 – June 3
- Write one paragraph on who you are and one paragraph on why you could use this break from the world or from your every day life and send them to mey (at) autostraddle (dot) com by next Friday, April 15
- That’s it!