Welcome to your weekly Pop Culture fix, in which I successfully prepare microwave popcorn and then consume it on the couch while telling you about relevant Pop Culture stories.
+ Wonder Woman comes out this week and already has a 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and has pissed off a lot of men. Success! Heather’s gonna check it out and review it for you this weekend. Here’s some background reading:
- The Complex Gender Politics of the ‘Wonder Woman’ Movie: Wonder Woman is the most expensive film ever directed by a woman, which is sad considering that its budget doesn’t even crack the list of the 44 most expensive films ever made. Apparently the success of this one movie will determine whether or not a female director ever gets another job in Hollywood, ever! So you better go see it!
- The First Time Batman and Superman Met Wonder Woman Was Downright Adorable
- 7 DC Comics To Read Before Seeing the ‘Wonder Woman’ Movie
- The Surprising Origin Story of Wonder Woman
- Wonder Woman’s feminist and not-so-feminist history.
- I honestly don’t know who Chris Pine is but he seems pretty famous and made a good point: “We’ve seen stories told through the male prism a lot. Men are not all that smart. We tend to want to kill each other all the time, so it’s nice to finally have a fresh, female perspective with important themes.”
+ The trailer for Stitchers Season Three has a lesbian kiss in it! Camille apparently said once that she was bisexual but nothing has been done or said about it since, but that’s gonna change, it seems.
+ Will Game Of Thrones get its first lesbian power couple?!! And if so will somebody make a YouTube compilation of the storyline so I can watch it without having to watch the rest of this very bloody television program?
+ Jill Soloway: “I’m obsessed with a movement for women, people of color, queer people, and an intersectional power movement. I think about revolution all the time. How do I square that with my TV and filmmaking ambitions?”
+ The cast of Orange is the New Black would like to thank all its true fans who did not illegally download the show and instead are waiting for the premiere. IN SONG!
+ WGN is moving in a new direction away from original programming, and ‘Underground’ will be an especially unfortunate casualty of that move. It’s getting the axe after two seasons, and Jasika Nicole has only been on it for one season so far!
+ If you’ve ever wondered which lesbian kisses a man who makes lists for The Richest will never forget, this is your lucky day: 15 Lesbian Kisses From Hollywood We’ll Never Forget. It will not surprise you that a lot of the kisses on this list involved straight women.
+ Will Sense8 Return For Season 3? It’s an outrageously expensive show to produce so I would not be surprised if the answer is no
+ The team of Issa Rae’s incredible HBO show “Insecure” has “four gay and lesbian writers” in it, reveals showrunner Prentice Penny in an interview with Business Insider.
+ In an interview with The Guardian, Syd the Kid says that a lot of the backlash to her music and public statements from the gay community really bummed her out.
+ Melissa Etheridge says that Anybody Who Smokes Cannabis Is Using it Medicinally’
+ Love Songs About Girls To Make Your Queer Heart Soar (if you liked this you’ll probably also love 28 Gay Girl Covers Of Straight Songs Because Everything’s Better When It’s Queered)