0. BREAKING NEWS Helena Peabody’s L Word Interrogation Tape is up at Showtime.com!
0. BREAKING NEWS PART II: The L Word‘s Jennifer Beals has been cast in Fox’s “rookie hit” Lie to Me as “an assistant U.S. attorney by the name of Zoe Landau” who improbably hires her ex-husband played by Tim Roth to help her with an arson case. Thanks to reader Nicole for the tip.
There’s gonna be all kinds of new stuff going up today and this week, I hope everyone is ready to rock. Also — I’m behind on emails and stuff, so I’ll get to all of ’em ASAP.
1. The Advocate is gonna let the girls in! This is REALLY SERIOUS BIG NEWS for us queer publishing geeks. “While The Advocate is a vital part of LGBT media, the articles and advertisements have been primarily geared towards gay men … it is with great pleasure to announce that the April 2009 issue has been one of the most inclusive editions. The magazine still has a long way to go, but praise is due when a company commits to diversity. The magazine featured more lesbian couples, muxes (a sub-culture of trans Mexicans), and some other portions which reflect the diversity of our community.” (@queers united)
2. Thanks to Sarah for this tip — A Teacher’s Commitment Ceremony, and the Seventh Grade is Invited. There’s many things to love about this essay. Here’s one of them:
Were [the students] surprised to learn [their teacher] was gay?
“He’s not gay,” said Japhet Guzman, 12.
“No,” agreed a lanky 13-year-old who walked with a bit of a tough-guy swagger, “he’s not gay. He’s bisexual. Why don’t you ask him?” (Mr. Nalley confirmed this.)
3. This woman scares the shit out of me because if I were to face. my. debt. in. the. mirror. I would probs kill myself. Therefore I am afraid to read this interview of Suze Orman I saw gay-quoted on one of my favorite blogs girlfriendisahomo so maybe you can just read it for me and tell me all the gay parts.
4. Unfortunately Ruben Noe Coronado is not a character in an Ilene Chaiken vehicle, in which case he could’ve had the baby whenevs, wherevs, defying science and biology (though a transman can undergo gender reassignment surgery and leave reproductive organs intact, taking testosterone is a big ixnay for transmen looking to get pregnant. It appears most news sources covering this topic are not making a clarification, and I’m suspecting that they’ll totally get away with it beacuse nobody knows anything.): Woman Holds Off on Becoming a Man to Give Birth To Twins (@ny daily news) [sidenote: that title is ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMATIC.]
5. A new look at how the right of queers to adopt/have children has been unfairly employed — by both sides — in the gay marriage debate. The Kids Aren’t Alright: The Gay Marriage Movement and its Manipulation of Children and Youth (@the bilerico project)
6. Battlestar Gaylactica heads off into the sunset. (@queerty)
In the grand spirit of the Autostraddle family and per reader request, I present a gallery of evidence of our drunkenhood from Robin & Alex’s b-day bash Friday night DJ’ed by Carlytron. I did not have any special duties, it is always special for me just to actually show up at a party, bc I am mostly afraid of other people. Except when I’m drunk. I even made a new friend, I was social McSocialstien. I’m not drinking again until Cinco de Mayo.
grrreen: @autowin aren’t you contractually obligated to document every event u attend on AutoStraddle.com? like a queer, interesting Julia Allison
autowin: @grrreen I want “like a queer, interesting Julia Allison” on my business cards. Not that I have any. u’re right though I/robin should/will.
Rolling Stone wrote an interesting article on the economic crisis. “The Big Takeover: The global economic crisis isn’t about money – it’s about power. How Wall Street insiders are using the bailout to stage a revolution.” You can read more here. Also! Just as a side, Australia now has its first elected female Premier. That’s sort of a big deal for us. The Dawn Chorus wrote about it here.