Today on Autostraddle! – Yes, Riese & A;ex went out in the rain & wind to the Times Talk Panel, where we met up with Reader Nicole and met lots of other nice ladies. Ilene was not one of them. Recap of the panel is here: “Jennifer Beals is a Perfect Human and Ilene Chaiken Talks A Lot.” Also, obvs, your Televisionary Tuesday!
1. Miss California has spoken. She received 2,000 friend requests on facebook, which’ll possibly be spun into a new research study on gay marriage by the religious right. Furthermore, she believes she has auto-won by giving a voice to the Intolerant Peoples of America. That’s so sweet! Like real sugar, which she never consumes.
“I feel like I won. I feel like I’m the winner. I really do.” She adds that her answer “did cost me my crown. I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I said what I feel. I stated an opinion that was true to myself and that’s all I can do. It’s a very touchy subject and Perez is a homosexual and I see where he was coming from and I see the audience would’ve wanted me to be more politically correct. But I was raised in a way that you can never compromise your beliefs and your opinions for anything.“
Apparently, “anything” includes “equality,” “civil rights,” “love of your fellow man” and that dirty dirty concept of being “politically correct.” She’s still yabbering on. The Advocate reports that she stands by her answer.
2. Alice’s Interrogation Tape: Apparently, these tapes are still happening? Who knew. In this particular tape, Alice is interrogated about her bisexuality. At a key moment she asks what this has to do with who killed Jenny. Then Ilene cuts the lights. See for yourself:
3. A Gaythering Storm – Another awesome parody, starring Alicia Silverstone, Lance Bass, Liz Feldman, Jason Lewis, THE LYNCH and others:
4. Violet Blue covers stereotypes and assumptions about sexual orientation.(@tiny nibbles)
5. At the Daily Beast, Rachel Kramer Bussel discusses “How Male Bisexuality Got Cool.” (@the daily beast)
6. California activists look East for signs of progress. (@sacramento bee)
7. Poll shows 53% in New York back gay marriage. (@the buffalo news)
from Stef: Rock’n’roll is not dead! As proof, I humbly offer Sacred Trickster by Sonic Youth and Angela by Jarvis Cocker – two brand new tracks from two of my very favourite musicians, and both so GLORIOUS that I can hardly contain myself [both @stereogum].
from Crystal: Right now I’m totally captivated by the lesbian storyline on Home & Away. A fan has graciously edited the story together in a way that is easy to follow, so click here if you want to check it out. Start with “Charlie & Joey, Part 1”. I have a lot of feelings about the storyline , but I’m going to reserve them for if/when the story develops further.