On this year’s Autostraddle Reader Survey, we asked those of you with one or more significant other to tell us where you met your very special someone(s). 26% of you met at school, 23% online, 20% through friends, 9% through work, 5% at a bar or party and 5% at an LGBT Event.
But 10% of you indicated “other” and provided us with your answer as a write-in. What we learned from this exercise is that next year Roller Derby, Autostraddle Meet-Up and Rugby should be listed as actual options.
Now, here are just some of the cutest, queerest, most unique and Most Weirdo ways y’all met up with your very special someone(s).
1. At the lesbian bookstore she worked at. I carried around a copy of “Out” magazine like a pride flag so she’d know I was a homo.
2. We play Quidditch together
3. In the board of an umbrella organization for Stockholm’s University Orchestras
4. On a bus, because of fancy socks
5. At auditions for The Vagina Monologues
6. At a meeting of Xena: Warrior Princess in Brazil
7. Mother and baby group!
8. Homeschool camp when we were teenagers
9. Walking around Whole Foods
10. I was an impressionable young intern, and she seduced me with her feminine wiles.
11. At the French Communist Youth Movement
13. Member-run anarchist women’s and trans theater collective
14. I wanted to click “LGBT event.” But it was really an Andrea Gibson show, which I guess is pretty much the same thing.
15. Met one partner at a BDSM Club, met other at Autostraddle Brunch
16. I emailed her because her face was on the Campus Gay People poster and I was hoping to make friends
17. Weird goucher fate
18. World of Warcraft
19. Shakespearean acting workshop
20. Online, but knew each other as kids. Adorable!
21. At a queer feminist festival in Sweden
22. In the woods
23. At a queer zine poetry event. I know, I know!
24. We met at a Halls thing on the first night of uni and were best friends for six years before we got together. I couldn’t have imagined then that we would have this now.
25. Guys: through connecting here and agreeing to go to lesbian book club together! THANKS!