Here in New York City, the frantic, uninterrupted panic we experienced at the height of our first Covid-19 outbreak has now settled into a kind of uneasy dread whilst we watch the rest of the country begin to unravel. I can only describe my current emotional state as 🙃. We’re all having a great time, and while we wait for the epidemic to slowly circle its way back to us, we’re finding creative new ways to cope. For example, our governor Andrew Cuomo has recently taken to art projects! While Cuomo is no stranger to earnestly bizarre early-20th-century-inspired political posters (who could forget the Squid of Government Incompetence?), his inspirational new masterpiece is truly a sight to behold.
Cuomo’s preferred method of expression – posters modeled after the art of William Jennings Bryan, a Democratic politician who unsuccessfully challenged McKinley during the presidential election of 1900 – is admittedly a healthier coping mechanism than anything I’ve been doing to myself for the last four months. The poster is positively littered with fascinating details, lending itself to the perfect “tag yourself” tweet.
While we all do our best to fully absorb this timeless classic:
- When did we stop being SLUTs?
- Is this Governor Cuomo’s Animal Crossing island?
- “Boyfriend Cliff” – while this is obviously the best part of the entire poster, what does this image of Gov Cuomo racing his car towards his daughter’s boyfriend as he precariously dangles from a craggy precipice tell us about the governor’s very healthy and respectful relationship with his daughter???
- My dude, you have a lot of nerve putting “Love Wins” atop a rainbow at the top of your poster when your own cops pepper sprayed and attacked peaceful protesters during pride this year!!!
- Lots to unpack here:
- If you’ve had a nasal swab Covid test, you will recognize this pleasant sensation immediately:
- OK, I can’t resist – tag yourself, I’m Dr. Knows Best:
- I just
I’m going back to bed.