What’s up homies, I want to talk to you about a super chill subject (like I always do) this good Friday: the apocalypse. Stay with me here (I say this a lot, don’t I? Mean it every time though)! After getting strep throat like two weeks ago, the first time in a literal decade, I got really existential which always happens when my physical health goes down even -5 health points. But instead of having my moment where I’m like we’re doomed for Hunger Games what’s the point anymore!!!?, after reading a bit of Care Work by Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha and clutching They Can’t Kill Us Until They Kill Us by Hanif Abdurraqib and really looking at how we’re already loving one another, my body turned towards okay, none of us can survive alone, we got to take care of each other, which is the root of all the work we’re doing already, what will that work look like when I can’t imagine what the world looks like? and if we are robbed of everything but each other, how will we care for one another?
So here’s my list of what I’m bringing to the apocalypse:
- emotional labor
- the butch quality of somehow carrying everyone’s stuff because I want to be helpful
- the reminder that screaming into the face of the void is one of the best ways to cope
- not greatly sung but still amusing musical renditions (In The Heights is my go-to best)
- vague carpentry/toolmaking/repair skills
- finally my autistic trait of special interest to entertain and inform the masses
- tbh I’m really good at hugs (editor’s note: this is true and correct)
- due to my inability to really focus on a set thing, I can sew and crochet (so we getting clothes and blankets in this bitch, they won’t be pretty but they’ll be functional) and do some art and cook? all of these I’m a jack of, not a king so like results may vary
- I can play some instruments so more entertainment possibly
- I’m good with animals!!!
- I’ve never been good with plants inside but I love the outside and I believe that this is low-key also my calling
- I can actually be athletic when I put my mind to it and I always turn into a Butch Hulk whenever someone is in need so I’m not saying I’ll be able to carry you up a mountain but if you really need me, I’m also not saying I *won’t* be able to carry you up that mountain
(And! This list is always growing, because I’m always growing! Amazing!)
Please add what you’ll bring to the apocalypse cause they (The Man, white supremacy, cisheteropatriarchy, the rich, etc.) tryin to bring us down but we won’t let them! They can’t and won’t survive but we will!
It’s cool if you’re not feeling my apocalyptic-realistic-optimisim chic, I still want to hear how you’re doing! Cause my friends, I’m here for all the gossip all the news all the stray wonderings you’re gonna slide into these comments! I can’t wait to chill this weekend with you so get on in here!
How To Post A Photo In The Comments:
Find a photo on the web, right click (on a Mac, control+click), hit “Copy Image URL” and then…
code it in to your comment like so:
If you need to upload the photo you love from your computer, try using imgur. To learn more about posting photos, check out A.E.’s step-by-step guide.
How To Post A Video In The Comments, Too:
Find a video on YouTube, copy the URL, and paste the link on its own separate line in your comment. You no longer need to use the “embed” code!