Today on Autostraddle: the scoop on Kate & J-Beals’ new pilots, Lezberado, my feelings on the Interrogation tapes, and more AND Stef’s final installment of the SXSW diaries, in which Perez Hilton throws a party, Stef drinks a lot of alcohol and hearts PJ Harvey. As the editor-in-chief I’ve learned a lot about music this week, most notably that slight blonde girls with big eyes and colorful outfits apparently make the best music.
Also, introducing our new resident Aussie – CRYSTAL! Meet her and find out what she’s into besides boomerangs, shrimp on the barbie, jumpers, fairy bread, Vegemite, Lesbian VJs and Portia De Rossi.
2. Heteronormativity Fail. (@feministing)
4. New Hampshire to vote on same-sex marriage this week [along with transgender rights] (@edge boston)
5. Are we supposed to like Meghan McCain? It’s really hard to tell. One week she’s actin’ a fool on our girlfriend Rachel’s teevee show (@gawker) and now Meghan McCain is on Larry King Live stating she believes in same-sex marriage! (thanks to reader Suzanna for the tip) (@towleroad)
6. Thanks to reader Erin for drawing our attention to the french film Je Te Mangerais, the story of a piano student who moves to a conservatory in Lyon and consequently moves in with a friend she hasn’t seen in years. Hot lesbian sex and requisite psycho lesbian obsessive plot ensues. (@youtube)
8. Miss Cleo – from psychic readings to gay activism. (@queerty)
Since I first started preaching about her in June ’07, almost all of the Autostraddle team have become at least partially obsessed with Lady Gaga (I sound like Cindy Adams. Hoo boy). She recently did a Q&A and a private set for AOL Music, and I’m fascinated by the stripped-down piano version of “Poker Face.” I challenge any other great female pop star to perform their music so fearlessly, and with such amazing Stevie Wonder piano moves. Only in New York, kids. Only in New York.
Shameless self-promotion time! When I was younger, the two things I never wanted to do when I grew up were acting and being a doctor. Now, finally, I get to live out one of these non-dreams with a recurring role on Logo’s B-Movie series Graveyard Shift. The premise is that the late night interns like to play b-movies and cult favorites Thursday nights at midnight. The interns also get into all sorts of misadventures, all of which are themed to that week’s film. Check out a rundown of all of it here. I play Trampire, a trans vampire. Srsly.
Making a good case for Boredom (@The Frontal Cortex)
“We can leave behind the world as it is and start imagining the world as it might be – if only we hadn’t lost our temper, or had superpowers, or had used a different pick-up line. It is this ability to tune out the present moment and contemplate the make-believe that separates the human mind from every other.”