The all-new lady-centric Ghostbusters came out last weekend, inspiring positive reviews from people who liked it, as well as negative reviews from people who didn’t like it. Both of those groups have been sharing their feelings on this matter on the official Ghostbusters fan page, which was originally created for fans of the original film. 25% of the comments about the remake are vomit emojis and reminders that Ghostbusters made less money last weekend than The Secret Life of Pets, 50% of them are positive endorsements of the film from people of all genders, 5% are women who hated it and 20% are men who hated it. The excerpts on this listling come, of course, from that last group. (This is not to say that all women liked the movie, or that disliking the movie is anti-feminist. But this IS to say that a lot of the men who hate the movie are misogynist mansplaining asshats.) (Oh yeah; and a lot of the people who hate it are also mean and racist!)
Below please witness excerpts from comments left recently on the Ghostbusters Facebook page, ripped mercilessly out of context but mostly presented in their entirety. I have edited some of these comments for clarity, grammar and spelling. Some of the misspellings and bad grammar I left intact for artistic reasons.
1. Call it what it really is: Malebusters
2. As a man I refuse to watch. The whole “feminist agenda” doesn’t appeal to me.
3. This movie was made by women wearing strap-ons and guys wearing dresses! Lol!!!
4. Who you gonna call? Someone else
5. Just watch Scooby Doo 2 Monsters Unleashed. It was the exact same movie complete with fart jokes. The Ghostbusters themselves seemed a ripoff of the whole Mystery Inc. gang. Just like Scooby, the Leslie Jones character would find the ghost and run in fear being chased by the ghost back to the group. Kate McKinnon could be labeled as Fred: blond hair, sometimes scarf around her neck. Kristen Wiig in the roll of Daphnie, the damsel in distress. Melissa McCarthy as Velma: book smart, complete with glasses. Chris Hemsworth was Shaggy: dumb and carefree, even came with properly timed sandwich-eating. They could have just cast Seth Green as the creepy weirdo villain guy for another cameo bit. The whole script was hollow and full of cheap gags just like Scooby Doo. Just my opinion.
6. We’ve read the emails — we know you forced Ivan Reitman out. We hate you Sony.
7. Emphasis on the boooooo
8. Women feel the need to bully men into having a positive opinion about a movie, otherwise, disagreeing makes them “manbabies.” Meanwhile, other genders are able to act as nostalgic, geekish, childish in their entertainment favorites as they like, and it’s considered perfectly fine.
9. And the trophy for the most misandrist movie of the year goes to ….. ghostbuster 2016
10. This movie deserves an award.. – WORST MOVIE OF THE FKIN CENTURY
11. If [Kate McKinnon] spent as much time in the kitchen as she did trying to do a man’s job, we could get more accomplished.
12. These four women aren’t funny of what I’ve seen in the five trailers that I’ve seen.
13. I would rather watch a 24-hour Richard Simmons marathon in a rainstorm with jumper cables attached to my nipples than watch this movie
14. It bombed big time. Like worse then Jem did. Like worse then Gigli.
15. My band is named after the creature that wreaked havoc during the 3rd reconciliation of Gozer the Destructor. With that said, I’m not watching this til it comes out on DVD.
16. I just seen a bunch of women that wished they were as good as men. Terrible movie.
17. Wow! What a pathetic attempt by feminists. Going to start a petition to get my money back.
18. Should have listened to fans instead of pandering to Twitter feminists.
19. If I found a free copy of this movie in the street, I wouldn’t walk it the next few steps to the garbage can. Oh, that’s a lie. I hate litter. I’d be a good citizen and chunk it.
20. I’m surprised they didn’t show all these ladies cats?
21. Nothing makes me want to see a movie quite like being told to “get over it.” That alongside “women are funny” “women rule” “women women women” really drives home the point that this movie is all about the fact that the new Ghostbusters are women.
22. This is not Ghostbusters, this is just a big nothing compared to the ORIGINAL. WHERE ARE MALE PEOPLE. And don’t act like womans are better than males. It’s tied between the two so stop please.
23. I left to get popcorn and the claw machine was more entertaining.
24. I will see this piece of garbage about the same time when Joel Schumacher apologizes for the two Batman movies he did…
25. There are plenty of women who aren’t better than me but can do better things, there are plenty of women who make more money than me but aren’t better. There are plenty who I make more than but I’m no better. I won’t give in imagine if Lord of the Rings was remade in a few years because… women empowernent.
26. Feminists everywhere insist everyone is sexist, but it’s sexist for people to be producing all-women films when the characters were male to begin with. Honestly, people are pretending to like this BECAUSE it is women. (That’s sexist too.)
27. I had the choice of: working in 100-degree weather and 100% humidity mowing the lawn, pressure washing the house and painting the deck OR seeing this movie. Yard and house look real nice.
28. They shouldn’t have tried to remake a classic, and insert socio-political propaganda into it as well…
29. Okay Ghostbusters, why did you think this was going to work? A group of feminist ghost-catchers? Complete fail and I didn’t even see it. The previews were enough.
30. SONY handing out those checks for positive revues…
31. Thats totally how restaurants drum up business, whats that you dont like pizza? Well your sexist and racists against Italians then
32. Now that The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Ghosts has proved to be garbage can we please get that ghostbusters movie that was promised to be for actual fans?
33. Films like this one, is the exact reason females aren’t taken more seriously in Hollywood.
34. Anyone who wastes their money on this abortion is a fool.
35. I hope she gets proton cancer from licking those guns
36. I saw the movie GHOST IN THE SHELL witch isn’t trash and is actually entertaining
37. All a positive review does is prove how easily a small mind is amused.
38. Cutting my toenails with a butter knife would be a more entertaining and satisfying way to spend the evening.
39. It’s a action chic comedy ,not bad ,not good …Only thing I like was seeing the original Ghostbusters and Sigorney weaver ..some where middle end ,got to predictable and lame .Positive thing I can say ,as a writer …the writing was good, the acting good ,the blonde ghost buster chic. ..crazy hot ..Thor was good as secretary ,but girls saving NYC nope ! Not convincing.
40. It’s hard to take anyone seriously who looks like a bunch of rejects from Whataburger
41. They deleted my comment… Hiding the truth.