Breaking News! Shane has a show! We love the future!
The Hollywood Reporter reports that Kate Moennig has been cast in CBS’s transplant surgery pilot Three Rivers with Danny Henny and Alex O’Laughlin. The pilot will be filming in Pittsburgh, but if picked up the show will move to L.A. Moennig will play a self-destructive lung/heart transplant fellow.
1. Ellen & Portia Change The World Day Four [sidenote: does anyone else remember when her show first started, how her contract barred her from discussing her sexuality? It was in her contract. There was a sudden noted change when that was lifted. I’m super curious about how that happened, and if it was public knowledge.]
- @jezebel: Portia on Leno: “When the Best Ammunition Against Bigotry is Simply Speaking Openly.”
- @365 gay: Can Ellen Change Hearts and Minds?
- @slate: Ellen on Ellen.
2. The first ever comprehensive study of its kind, GLSEN’s Harsh Realities: The Experiences of Transgender Youth in Our Nation’s Schools reveals that levels of harassment, assault and abuse experienced by transgender students is significantly higher than even their non-transgender lesbian, gay and bisexual peers. In fact, it’s out of f*cking control:
- Almost half of all transgender students reported skipping a class at least once in the past month (47%) and missing at least one day of school in the past month (46%) because they felt unsafe or uncomfortable.
- Almost all transgender students had been verbally harassed (e.g., called names or threatened) in the past year at school because of their sexual orientation (89%) and gender expression (87%). [@glsen]
3. On Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell and West Point’s newly formed gay group for alums (@huffpo)
4. FOA [Friend of Autostraddle] Alexi’s Closet #21: Spring Style & What to Wear to Dinah? (@afterellen)
5. Lindsay & Sam as American Sapphic, in L.A. based artists Ben Tegal’s new exhibit. (@queerty)
6. Vermont considers same-sex marriage bill: ” Marcia Merrill, chair of the Vermont Commission on Women, testified that “as women, we are no strangers to discrimination. We know the injustice of inequality. We know what it is like to be considered second-class citizens [allowing same-sex marriage] is just the right thing to do.” (@feminist newswire)
Today in Douchebaggery:
Extremist anti-gay bill proposed in Tennessee that would ban teachers in public elementary and middle schools from acknowledging any type of sexuality other than heterosexuality (@the examiner)
Gay marriage opponents in Minnesota propose amendment banning gay marriage in response to recent proposal for gender neutral marriage bill (@365gay)
[thanks as always to Intern Vashti]
The Melbourne Queer Film Festival began this week, featuring the best queer cinema from Australia and around the world. If you’re a film buff then the program guide is definitely worth a look. My personal pick is Were the World Mine, described as “an original and invigorating mix of the musical and teen flick, all set against the magical backdrop of A Midsummer Night’s Dream.”
A ridiculous list of 99 Essential Twitter Tools And Applications. Some I’ll be checking out cause they look supercool: twitzu, group tweet, and twittearth. Oh and def tweetbeep.