1.Judge Judy has spoken: “Why the state should be interested in proscribing the word marriage from two people who love each other, who are responsible, tax-paying, productive people, who have created a family … why the state would have an interest in proscribing that kind of conduct, I don’t understand.” (@aol news/larry king live)
2. Amazing feature on The Power of Michelle Obama. A plethora of kickass writers tackle various aspects of the first lady’s appeal. These mini-essays include Sam Anderson’s That’s One Tall Woman, Terry McMillan’s Her Body, Ourselves, Amy Bloom’s The First Wives’ Club and Jennifer Senior’s The Meaning of an Icon. (@nymag)
3. Tallahassee rally urges lifting of gay adoption ban — Harvey Milk’s nephew is there. (@miami herald)
4. Really Tyra? REALLY? Bloggers talk back on Tyra’s choice to promote “purity” and “innocence” by dressing her 18+ contestants in little girl’s clothing, playing hopscotch:
- ANTM’s Fetishizing Take on ‘Purity.‘ (@feministing)
- Thoughts on America’s Next Top Model (@women’s glib)
- Immediately Return To Your Apartment, Pack Your Epilepsy Medication, and Go Home: “Does she really think that having women dress up as pre-schoolers is going to inspire anything but chiding and a chorus of, “That bitch crazy!“ (@fourfour)
5. Good news: the lesbian can wear her tux to prom. (@the advocate)
6. Obama to sign U.N. declaration for the decriminalization of homosexuality (@msnbc)
Before I take off for Austin, I had a brief explosion of music-related news – click here to illegally download the new Placebo track “Battle for the Sun,” off their new album, which is called… “Battle for the Sun.” Oh, and the Breeders are doing a new EP [@stereogum]. Trent Reznor is unimpressed with the probable Livenation/Ticketmaster merger [@nin.com] AND ALL Virgin Megastores EVERYWHERE are closing [@brooklynvegan]. On that (depressing) note, see you weirdos later.
This site has tons of cute things. Seriously, that’s it’s basic concept. And I love it. It’s like, they could change the name from Digital Crushes to “All Things Carly Would Love” and it would be just the same. Probably wouldn’t be as popular, though.
Ladies from Australia and the UK may be pleased to hear that Home & Away, one of Australia’s longest running soap operas, will feature its very first lesbian storyline. I don’t watch the show, but I will now. Defamer Australia wrote an amusing report about it here.
Are you bored at work? Do you have an envelope? Go make some swell Cutting Corners Bookmarks! [@cutout+keep] See my AutoStraddle & Obi Best versions here. Feel like stealing more office supplies? Make this Origami Kusadama Flower using Post-Its. I invented Post-Its, you know.