It can be tough to figure out conversation for the first date — something in between the first ten minutes of establishing where you both work/how totally fine this small-plates place is and delving into all your childhood trauma. A relatable icon for adult dating is Real Women Have Curves‘ Ana García bringing index cards of conversation topics to her first date. To that end, here are X open-ended yet casual, chill questions to get to know your date better without it feeling like a job interview or summer camp icebreaker.
1. Is your job now what you imagined doing when you were a kid? What was?
2. What’s the farthest trip from home you’ve made?
3. How did you meet your best friend?
4. What’s your comfort show/book/album?
5. How did you get into doing [hobby]?
6. What superpower would you most like to have?
7. What absurd thing did you believe was true about how the world worked as a kid?
8. Do you have any superstitions?
9. What’s your favorite thing to shop for?
10. Do you have a guilty pleasure TV show or movie?
11. What’s your favorite thing about where you work/live?
12. What’s your karaoke song?
13. What were the urban myths where you grew up?
14. What’s your favorite holiday to celebrate?
15. Who in your life could you put up with being trapped on a desert island indefinitely?
16. Do you believe in ghosts?
17. What TV character do you most relate to?
18. What would your dream house look like?
19. What did you grow up thinking was universal because your family did it, and then realized later it wasn’t?
20. Where have you always wanted to travel to?
21. What ending to a TV show did you hate?
22. What was your clique in high school?
23. Were you a group projects person or do you hate them?
24. Do you believe in astrology? (Lol)
25. What’s the best sandwich you’ve ever eaten?
What questions do you like best for getting to know new people? (Also would love to hear your answers! Especially to 8 and 16.)