Last week we published a list of nine ’50s/’60s books from a then-popular genre of cheap paperbacks: entirely fabricated or otherwise compromised “sociological studies” of human sexuality penned by pulp authors pretending to be doctors. “Lesbianism” was a very common focus of these “non-fiction” books.
Below are statements about “lesbian behavior” pulled mercilessly out of context from the pages of the sacred text A New Look At The Lesbian, by “Scott O’Neill,” storied author of Campus Call Girl and Profile of a Pervert Volume 2. We hope it provides a lot of insight into why you are such a hot mess.
16 Hard Core Facts About Lesbians
1. The vast majority are strongly sexed and almost constantly preoccupied with sex.
2. There are actually many cases of Vampirism on the records — cases in which cuts have been inflicted on the body of the femme and the blood sucked from them by her butch.
3. Conversations among their own group consist of sexual gossip, certainly in excess of what we might have designated as “good taste.”
4. The maternal instinct is always present in a Lesbian. They are given to sublimation of this womanly quality in some cases. Cats, dogs, birds.
5. Set one hundred women down on a deserted island and within a week, a quarter of this number will become lesbians.
6. One reason the Lesbian hang-outs are so well-covered by our law enforcement agencies is because of the frequency of fights, knifings, and hair-pulling contests.
7. In other words, they became strippers because they were Lesbians, and did not become Lesbians because they were strippers.
8. In the past, wars have sufficed to keep down the population. That and rampart homosexuality in war-ravaged countries.
9. A young girl that remains a tomboy when she should be wanting her first pair of high heels; more interested in playing touch football than going to dancing class; trying to walk, talk and play like one of the boys instead of wanting a permanent and lessons on poise — all of these things should warn a parent that something is awry.
10. If the neighbors say that the two girls who live in the apartment are nice enough, but seem to fight a lot, you’re pretty well on your way to establishing a Lesbian relationship.
11. No, we do not put our Lesbians on faraway islands. Nor do we lock them away in asylums. But have you ever visited a typical Lesbian bar?
12. No husband, catching his wife in a moment of complete indiscretion, can match the strength of the jealousy felt constantly by the lesbian.
13. Naturally, there are homosexuals in all walks of life but there are far more Lesbian waitresses, clerical helpers, shop sales girls, beauty operators, minor technicians, musicians and the like than there are painters, business executives, doctors, writers or even actresses.
14. One will notice among any given Lesbian group that many are sufferers of what appears to be a chronic skin disease.
15. The sect or cult of lesbianism lives on among us today, affecting almost each of us in one fashion or another. Hitler’s Thousand-Year Reich had overall a considerably less impact upon us, yet it was comparatively short-lived.
16. Biting, a form of oral sadism, is frequent among these women, and probably accounts for the high number of turtle-necked sweaters sold to them.
Before you go! It takes funding to keep this publication by and for queer women and trans people of all genders running every day. And A+ members keep the majority of our site free for everyone. Still, 99.9% of our readers are not members. A+ membership starts at just $4/month. If you’re able to, will you join A+ and keep Autostraddle here and working for everyone?