Feature image from The Gender Spectrum Collection by Broadly
We asked A+ Members if they’d ever been helped (directly or indirectly) by our Into the A+ Advice Box column. Turns out, the answer is yes and they told us about it! Maybe you’re an A+ member and you’re considering submitting a question (Do it! We want to see your questions!) or maybe you’re not an A+ member. One of the benefits of being an A+ member is that you get access to the A+ Priority Contact Box where you can directly send us your advice questions (and hot tips and other questions about the site). We round these questions up and answer them anonymously, twice a month, in Into the A+ Advice Box! As you’ll see below, you don’t even have to have asked a question to get something out of this — and sometimes, some of the best advice is in the comments section when members come together to offer resources and support!
Here are 16 things A+ Members said about Into the A+ Advice Box:
- I asked a question a few weeks ago and deeply appreciated the answer (I was the one who asked about dating a coworker, you gave amazing advice but we’re definitely dating now and it’s amazing XD). Not to mention the general advice I get from just reading the advice column.
- A partner of mine asked a question that they werent sure how to ask me directly. I read the advice and was like oh, weird, this sounds familiar, and the main takeaway from the advice was to communicate, communicate, communicate.. So we did and we continue to and its awesome
- I love reading advice columns from thoughtful queers so I can apply the concepts to my own life!
- There have been a few questions that come right up to my own experiences and helped me reframe my own thoughts and experiences in more healthy ways.
- Yes!! Lots of the answers to questions about breakups have been helpful to me over the last year of navigating my own awful breakup
- The “talking about sex” guide you folx put out the other day really helped me and my wife get back into a groove
- I love reading the A+ Advice posts even if they don’t directly apply to my life because I find it really valuable to learn about other people’s experiences and questions and then read multiple people’s perspectives and answers. It has broadened my own thinking about a lot of issues and helped me be more empathetic.
- The advice posts help me feel less alone and also guide my thinking as I sit here imagining going on a date. 😂
- I personally haven’t written in, but I find it soothing to read the thoughtful and compassionate advice for others
- Yes, my question about how to support a partner with different financial circumstances than you (student debt etc) and the balance between helping and patronising them/adding my own limits. The advice helped me so much and also was so caring it made me cry? But in a good way.
- I’ve had my own advice question answered, and I’ve also seen a lot of questions/answered that could easily have been for me.
- The advice box gives you a group of knowledgeable and articulate friends to run things by, even if you might not have them in your in-person life.
- I mean indirectly the A+ advice box was my therapist in like 2014.
- I’ve never sent a question but benefitted from basically all the answers to everyone else (my A+ subscription is cheaper than therapy lol)
- I always read them and even when I’m not in a similar position, I often find things to help myself or others. For example, a close friend recently had a break up after a long term relationship (her first and only romantic partner and she was concerned due to being nearly 30 with such little experience). I’ve seen this so much in the advice posts I felt I was in a better position to provide support, check in, and give the occasional pep talk (hopefully!) without being super annoying about it.
- Questions I’ve entered into the advice box have been answered a few times (and always by my absolute favorite people) and it thrills me when that happens! Particularly because even if y’all don’t really have an answer you’re always willing to commiserate.