We have a fabulous opportunity for one or two people with formidable engineering prowess to use their tech mastery for good! Help us build and maintain this gay-ass website for lesbians, queer women and nonbinary people. Check out both job descriptions, because you may be able to do both, or you may just want to do one. Either way, fantastic! Apply by Friday February, 7 in the forms below.
Cee, who is currently acting as both our WordPress Developer and Systems Administrator, is looking for a replacement and they know all about what these jobs entail. If you have questions about the positions, please leave a comment. If you seem like a good fit, Cee will get in touch!
We are looking for a senior level WordPress person to join our team! You must be extremely comfortable with custom WordPress themes and plugins, know how to handle websites with lots of traffic, and are comfortable taking the lead, managing yourself, and you take pride in your work. You’ll be the SOLE person developing, maintaining, and supporting all the code for this website once you’ve been trained by Cee.
You’ll also be in charge of handling all tech support and maintenance of the website, logins, the A+ system and tech support for our writers. Ideally we’re looking for someone for the long-haul, so please don’t apply if you’re thinking this will tie you over for a bit. You’ll also be on call at all hours and need to be available online if things break.
- 5+ years of web development experience (or if not, you think you’re at the level to do this!)
- Lots and lots of WordPress experience
- You’ve used and are comfortable with Gutenberg
- Super comfortable with CSS, responsive breakpoints, what works in what browsers, how to make things work in all devices, etc.
- Super comfortable with HTML
- Good at PHP and making sure you write PHP that doesn’t bring down our database
- Know how and why to minimize DB calls
- You understand how to code for websites with a lot of traffic
- Know when it’s appropriate to use certain image formats (svg/png/gif/jpg)
- Can keep the page size and render time to a reasonable level
- Can communicate well and explain technical things to non-technical people
- Can find ways to make the writer’s jobs easier, install functionality that would improve processes and do it all with minimal supervision
- Can vet plugins and make sure they’re coded well and won’t break our site or slow down things to an unusable level
- Comfortable interacting with our friendly users when they have issues with their accounts via our ticketing system
This job is PART TIME and is about 40 hours a month. Some weeks will have very little work, some weeks will have a lot, so flexible work hours are ideal. United States based applicants only please. Send your resume, hourly rate, and a WordPress custom-coded theme example and why you’d like to work for us via the form below. Feel free to reach out to Cee with any questions about this job: cee at this domain dot com! THANKS!
If you’re also a sys-admin please view our other listing – this job could be combined for the right person.
We are looking for a systems administrator to join our team! Our server is custom built and you’ll be the one maintaining it. Ideally we’re looking for someone for the long-haul, so please only apply if you’re committed to sticking around.
- Fully comfortable with Linux/Unix and using the command line
- Know how to keep an apt-based server up to date (Ubuntu)
- Has set up and maintained a web server before, preferably NGINX, and can tweak it for speed for a large-scale website
- Can configure and maintain PHP-FPM, and can tweak it for speed for a large-scale website. Also would be great to have some experience with server side caching like Batcache/Varnish.
- Understands MySQL database configuration and basic maintenance
- Can support the web developer person by helping them with code check ins/deployment and basic DevOps/code backups, maintaining a development server, etc
- Is a fan of computer security and understands how to keep servers secure.
- Has experience or understanding of how WordPress works
- Cool with custom DNS setups and can manage DNS
- Can do tech support for our writers (mostly relating to email config)
This job PART TIME and is about 10 hours a month. Some weeks will have no work when things are running smoothly, some weeks will have a lot of work when things break, so flexible work hours are ideal. You’ll need to be on call at all hours and available online if things break, which they rarely do these days, thankfully!
United States-based applicants only please. Send your resume, hourly rate and why you want to work via the form below. Please consider applying even if you don’t have all of these requirements, but you’re keen on self-learning! Feel free to reach out to Cee with any questions about this job: cee at this domain dot com!
If you’re also a senior level WordPress developer, please view our other listing — this job could be combined for the right person.