Beyond the fear of catching coronavirus lies an ocean of other anxieties. How can we get access to mental health care? How long until we can see, and not through a computer screen, our loved ones? We’re not just thinking about life but the quality of life, and discovering just how strong we are to not only survive this physically but emotionally. Tools like witchcraft and astrology usually offer solace, but feel inadequate to carry us through. A major cosmic shift just happened, that if not an explanation, is at least interesting. Saturn, the planet of societal restrictions, left business-minded Capricorn for community-oriented Aquarius, where it will stay for the next two to three years. This is hopeful news for anyone ready for a change. While Aquarius is the alien of the zodiac, off on another planet, it’s also very logical. So we’re going to do a simple meditation to keep our hopes up, our gratitude going, and spark excitement for what’s ahead.
What does Saturn in Aquarius mean?
Saturn is the planet of time, restrictions, and commitment. It changes sign every two and a half to three years; Saturn has been in Capricorn since 2017. Capricorn is the daddy of the zodiac (daddy can be gender neutral), and is traditional, responsible, and tends to look to the past rather than the present. While certainly not all Capricorns are capitalists, the sign is very business-oriented and focuses more on the individual. In the past several years, we as a society have been trying to live within systems created by our ancestors. Aquarius is the humanitarian of the zodiac and represents the community, future, and technology. When Saturn moved into Aquarius on March 21, society looks to the future and collective ways of thinking and living.
So what does this mean for coronavirus?
It feels crass to chalk any of the shitshow we’re living in up to astrology, but if we are to speculate about what astrology offers us right now, Saturn’s new placement will ask us to let go of old systems of power and ways of thinking. Instead of maintaining old systems, we want new ones. We want to invent a new way of living and thinking. We want to support our communities and get through this together. It’s a time of invention, creating new boundaries both in our personal lives and on a global scale. It’s a welcome shift for revolutionaries ready for change, and who see this pandemic as evidence that such change is clearly overdue.
You will need:
Paper, pen, and an object that gives you hope for the future
The best time to cast the spell:
Right away. We’re all losing our minds.
1. Select an object that reminds you of freedom and the future. It could be a photograph, a gift from a friend or lover, or even a crystal. It must make you think of the good times ahead, possibilities, and all the joy that is to come.
2. Find somewhere quiet to sit. Step away from electronics. Bring your pen and paper and item with you.
3. To start, we honor Capricorn and the past. Write down everything hard in this life that you already survived. It could be a breakup, natural disaster, illness, or any pain and trauma. Look at the paper and remember how strong you are. If you can survive all that, you can survive this. We are all going through it together. You are not alone.
4. Now, honor the present. Write down all the things that you are grateful for. Perhaps it’s your cats, friends, electricity, a creative project, a sex toy, and your partner.
5. Honor Aquarius and look towards the future. Things will get better. It will be hard. It will take time. But the world keeps turning. Think of the joy of the first party you go to, what songs you want to dance to, how much glitter you want to wear. Visualize a specific event that you can’t wait for. You can make it up. Write down a description, fold the paper up, and close your eyes. Meditate and visualize this super fun futuristic scenario. It can happen.
6. Place the paper on your altar. Put your object on top. Return to this meditation and visual whenever you feel down. Remember: This will pass.