Stuff those dirty ’shrooms in your face, poke her in the front and liquor in the rear and then brace yourself for a world in which suddenly nobody has a cell phone anymore cuz if they did there’d be no plot! Jenny’s still got her tights on though, just FYI, and Shane’s making some valuable business connections while Tim stomps around a lot, Bette takes a trip to New York City for an art opening, and Alice rides Lisa’s sensitive “lesbian-identified male” vibes. We also have a lot of feelings about Lei Ling and Lisa! Stay tuned for a roundtable I’m putting together about Lisa coming soon, featuring some trans women and non-binary writers!
Hello it’s time for another episode of To L and Back, a podcast recently featured in The Advocate’s 12 LGBTQ Podcasts You Should Listen To! This week’s episode was particularly painful, as it followed our young charge Jenny on an extended road trip with two teenagers, during which she spoke extensively about her organs that she was going to mail to Tim. (I mistakenly included references to this bit in last week’s description originally, since I got confused because we are always making so many episodes at the same time! Like right now we’re doing edits on 108 and I have to be careful not to get confused right now telling you about 107.) There’s a lot of stupid shit in this episode but don’t worry, we keep it VERY funny.
Things referenced in the episode for your reference:
- Once again: An Open Secret, a film by Amy Berg about the sexual abuse of children in the entertainment industry in Hollywood andThe Atlantic article about Bryan Singer and the other powerful Hollywood men involved in the case: Nobody Is Going to Believe You.
- The interview with Guin Turner by Sarah Warn that I reference is published in “Reading The L Word: Outing Contemporary Television.”
- I also reference our very own interview with Guinevere Turner w/r/t Ilene writing the Jenny writing scenes.
- My interview with Sarah Schulman where she talks about how lesbians are expected to be the caretakers for their parents if they don’t have children of their own.
- I finally made y’all that list of actors who were in both Battlestar and The L Word. This episode in particular had SIX: Nickie Clyne (girl who picks up Jenny), Tahmoh Penikett (Sheriff), Alana Husband (Marcy, one of Shane’s roommates), Andrew McIlroy (Shane’s boss), Kwesi Ameyaw (Randy) and Rachel Hayward (Ellie Zimmer).
- If you want to read more of my feelings about Jenny’s tights, you may do so here. But be aware it’s CHOCK-FULL of spoilers!