Okay, so I’ve watched St. Vincent’s “New York” a million times. It’s so good! Annie Clark takes things I think I’d never wear in a million years and suddenly, I need them — and so, I’ve tracked down how to recreate every outfit in the video.
At least for Halloween, when we can try out alternate versions of ourselves, this is my new look. And maybe yours, too!
Oh Annie, your details! This luminous look includes:
• A sheer white coat (this one will look way cooler unbuttoned and casually draped over your shoulders, obvs).
• A classic spaghetti strap top.
• Sleek, shiny leggings.
• Soft, spiraling earrings.
• A clear dome umbrella.
• Some very ’80s blue eyeshadow and matching nail polish.
Glam Jumpsuit Witch
Where in god’s name did you find a jumpsuit with those queen bitch sleeves? Who is your designer, girl? Here’s how to look this bad in black:
• A jumpsuit with statement shoulders.
• Dangerous-looking heels.
• Chunky gold earrings.
• Plum lipstick and bronze eyeshadow.
Classic SV, bringing back the single glove in singular fashion. Shine similarly in that lip color from above, as well as:
• A very sparkly tube dress.
• Black patent thigh-high boots.
• One or two pink opera-length gloves.
• Pink eyeshadow and serious scarlet nail polish.
Swan not included. (Or recommended — they can be mean!)
Check out our Annie, perched casually like 100 feet above NYC. Maybe don’t try that bit at home, but definitely try this look with:
• A bright red unitard.
• A strappy orange swimsuit.
• More patent boots, this time in red.
• Geometric earrings.
• Bright pink lipstick and thick black eyeliner.
Pretty in Polka Dots
Of the entire video, I think I like this look the best. Here are the components:
• A sheer, Swiss-dotted bodysuit (straight size here, plus size here).
• Matching tights.
• A simple bandeau top and panties.
• A voluminous dotted necklace.
• Bright orange lipstick.
• Probably those same black heels from the jumpsuit look. You know, if you’re into wearing shoes.
Green Jacket Goddess
I’m green with envy over this one. Here’s what you’ll need to recreate it:
• A rich green trenchcoat.
• Shiny black leggings to cover dat butt.
• More black patent high boots.
• Super red lipstick and matching nail polish.
Rowr! Get Annie’s Astor Place Cube captive look with these:
• A high-neck leopard bodysuit (straight size here, plus size here).
• Opaque pink tights.
• Equally pink patent pumps.
• Pearly pink eyeshadow.
Pink Velour Shopper
Oops, I just became obsessed with pink velvet lingerie sets! Here’s how to shop in style like SV:
• A velvet bralette and undies set.
• Light pink tights.
• A wiggly, pearlescent choker.
• Pink nail polish to match.
Ahh yes, the inevitable post-breakup planting sesh. Pick up these pieces and get familiar:
• A shiny, sculptural bodysuit.
• Sheer black tights.
• Fake daisies to glue to said tights, if you’re really committed.
• Square-ish silver post earrings.
• Remember those black heels up there ^^^?
• What about that red lipstick and nail polish?
• Or that blue 1980s shadow? Just a tiny touch of that.
Dressing up? Dancing? Crying? All of my favorite party activities. This ensemble will see you through them:
• A flashy gold minidress.
• Glittery silver heels.
• Shimmery tights.
• Slick and shiny silver eyeshadow, and matching nail polish.
Just These Rock & Roll Heels
I did say every outfit.
What’s your favorite look from “New York”?
I WANTED THIS WITH ALL MY HEART AND SOUL AND THIS REALLY DELIVERED
I’M SO GLAD
I really want that pink velour shopper, though I may need to find one in my body shape and size to pull it off.
Ah! The top image on this post and St. Vincent just provided me with some arts knowledge. As a Michigan graduate I was super excited to see her posing next to “the cube” but for the life of me couldn’t figure out why she’d film a video about NYC in Ann Arbor. Thanks to magic of google I learned that the Astor Place cube is the original. Learn more at http://www.tonyrosenthal.com/OutdoorCubes.htm
This is so cool!
A+++ for the outfit title puns alone (but also wow, these are great, I never knew I’d want a polka-dot bodysuit or daisies to add to my tights)
I love this! For accuracy on the first outfit, those are definitely Disco Pants from American Apparel in a color that’s not currently available.
I knowww it killed me. Bring back your shiny lamé, American Apparel !!!!
THAT GREEN JACKET
I feel curiously compelled to develop the otherworldly technologies required for the Sad Gardener bodysuit. Think “Contact”, but much shinier.
where can i buy and wear an astor place cube
honestly probably the MoMA store