Today on Autostraddle: Carlytron’s latest tech column (she is now accepting your tech-related questions!) and Robin’s photoblog of Larry Tee, The Presets and La Roux!
Intern Vashti says: “We should start callin’ the gays “butter” cuz they’re on a rollllllllllll. [I’ll go by “lame” though for actually using that phrase.]”
1. Hey, how’s your televisionary void? Is it empty & aching? Well, we have a televisual ailment for all your lesbionic pains. It’s called Anyone But Me, it’s a web-series on Strike TV. We’ve got an interview with the show’s writer, Susan Miller, coming up real soon — she’s an Obie-award winning playwright and superstar teevee scribe with credits including consulting producer/writer for the first season of The L Word [she’s responsible for “the mission to ascertain the true intentions of one Lara Perkins …” episode — yes, she’s your hero] and Story Editor for Thirtysomething.
I’ll save my gushing review for the interviews but briefly: I’d defo say ABM has more of a South of Nowhere feeling to it — that giddy mixed-up young love thing, that incredibly sweet adventures of two girls in love but forced apart thing, that finding yourself thing … y’know. That “reason we watch teevee” thing.
So start catching up now, begin with the beginning!, if you haven’t already (it’s been on AfterEllen and well — all over the web). We’re up to Episode 6 now and I believe Episodes 7 & 8 are in post-production, therefore will be revealed very soon.
Here’s my favorite episode – Episode 4: “Vivian + Aster”:
2. Fish out of Water is a new Ky Dickens documentary scored by Kaki King that explores the “impassioned relationship between homosexuality and the bible.” This looks really, really good — and bonus! — the trailer touches upon one of my Top Ten Feelings, which’s “I think Jesus really cares about our hearts, he doesn’t care about our sexuality.”
3. Speaking of civil rights, a straight journalist with a gay brother explains why gay marriage matters — why the state should recognize our choice of partner. (@the wall street journal)
4. “Gay people will give up a lot of things, but we won’t give up our vacations. What else are we going to talk about?” (@the chicago tribune)
6. A Lotta Vaginas! A look at Women’s Comics of the 70’s and 80’s. (@bitchblogs)
7. Add one more to the pile of right-wing douchebags who SURPRISE! turns out to just be a perv/deviant projecting his violent self-loathing onto innocent homosexuals and innocent pro-choice pro-sex-education humans: Focus on the Family Staffer Busted for Soliciting Teen for Sex Over the Internet. (@pamshouseblend)
from Robin: Sloan Tanen writes funny lines for funny pictures of chicks. Not like, lady chicks, but like chicken chicks, which are sometimes cuter. The photographer (who I assume doesn’t get much credit because maybe Sloan styles each set?) is Stefan Hagen.
from Carly: Are you like me, and wish that all of your household’s media could be streamed from one central location to pretty much anywhere? Well… it’s certainly a possibility. My roommates and I have been looking into doing something like this, and I just read about Subsonic over on Lifehacker. Seems pretty cool, if I ever get it up and running I will let you guys know how it’s going!
from Crystal: I am quite shameless about my love of advertising and the advertising industry, which is why I really, really want to buy a Mac sleeve that is made out of a recycled billboard. They’re available from Haul. This store also makes recycled billboard dog collars, wallets, totes bags, bean bags and messenger bags, and some fascinating things from inner tubes and licence plates.