Our June-July Queer IRL gallery was Queer on Holiday, a vitalizing journey through some of your best summer days. We saw you at the lake, on your honeymoon, jumping on the beach, going to Pride with your friends, and generally just being cute and queer and full of life. Maybe go ahead and bookmark that gallery now so you can come back to it during the chilly winter, when you just can’t go for a topless swim, no matter how much you want to.
Hey are you ready for August’s theme? COOL LET’S DO IT.
August’s Gallery Theme: Queer in the Stacks
You might think I’m talking about a public library situation here, but I’m talking about you and your personal bookshelves! Your bookcases! Your books your books your books. You’ve got ’em, now go take a picture with ’em!
1. Take a large, high quality picture of you and your bookcase. This is doable with most smartphones, so don’t worry if you don’t have a fancy camera. You know what else works and is super fun? Disposable cameras. I keep mentioning this because I just don’t want you to forget it.
Photos should be between 1024-3024 pixels wide so they’ll look nice on a full screen. Please don’t send anything smaller than 1024 pixels wide.
2. Send your picture and info to me at email@example.com the subject QUEER STACKS. Copy/paste this mini form into your email and fill in the blanks with your info!
NAME / AGE* / LOCATION
Details: Tell me about your bookshelf, your favorite book, how you’ve got the books organized, what other beloved items are you showing off on these shelves?
*Optional but cool.
I reserve the right to edit your sentence/s for length or spelling errors. (I’m a pretty good editor though, so.) Your photo will appear in a full screen gallery on Autostraddle.com — the main site, not A+ — and might be used on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr) to promote the gallery. If you don’t want your photo to appear on social media, please make a note of that with your submission. You reserve full rights to your photo. Photos will not be used to promote anything other than this exact gallery, and will not be used in any other future post.
Deadline: Monday, August 28
1. What is a bookcase?
A bookcase or a bookshelf or a book table or a book tower are all just places where you’re keeping and displaying your books.
2. What is a queer person?
Queer people are lesbians, bisexuals, queer and otherwise-identified women, trans and non-binary folks.
3. Do you want us to be in the photo?
I do, yes! Yes please! I’d love that. You don’t necessarily have to be in it, but I think all your other queer person-reader friends would appreciate seeing another queer person staring back at them from their electronic screen situation. I know I do. Please be in your photo!!
4. What about my friends or my pets? Should they be in the photo?
I’d be mad if they weren’t.
5. What if my ‘bookshelf’ is really just a modest pile of books on my nightstand? What if I want to make this about my public library and not my private collection?
If you have any number of books gathered together in one location, I think that counts! If you want to make this about your public library, DO IT. Be sure to include the name of the library and why you chose it.
6. Wait wait wait, I have like 15 bookshelves! Do you really want 15 pictures?!
Thank you for checking, no I do not. It’s true that 15 photos would be outlandish. Why don’t you choose your favorite bookshelf? Or maybe your three favorites.
6. How sexy can we get here? Also tell me about your nudity policy.
We shan’t show nipples, genitalia, or simulated or actual sex. Sex toys or nude art are totally permitted.
Deadline: Monday, August 28
Leave your questions in the comments and if you have an idea for a future theme, let me know! firstname.lastname@example.org