Feature image by Sayed Khodaiberdi Sadat/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
Definitely the kind of day where it feels like I’m just chasing my own tail! You know how it goes.
Queer as in F*ck You
AWWWWW! Congratulations to the whole family! WNBA Stars Breanna Stewart and Wife Marta Xargay Casademont Welcome First Baby, Daughter Ruby: ‘Best Moments’
The Smith Family Legacy Was Built for Willow. “Willow Smith is an oddity in music, and not just because of the pedigree.”
Facebook Is Partnering With a Notoriously Anti-Gay Megachurch. “According to a new report, the tech giant is working with the exclusionary church to build virtual communities on the platform.”
Saw This, Thought of You
You do truly love to see it! HBCUs Erasing Student Debt With Federal Funds Brings Hope For Students And Schools
I want to include some good, smart pieces about Afghanistan in today’s round up. Yesterday I went to our team to say “I am also humble enough to say ‘I don’t know enough, to properly know enough’ so if you read something that strikes for you please share it!” — and wow did they come through! I am going to pass the helm to Himani and KaeLyn.
- “Some perspectives from Afghan people”: ‘Now I Have to Burn Everything I Achieved’ and ‘I Believed in the U.S. But That Turned Out to Be Such a Big Mistake’
- “I feel like this one is a straightforward overall read of like wtf happened, politically”: The Afghanistan Debacle — How Bush, Obama, Trump, and Biden bamboozled the American public
- “This one is a good look at what happened, from an on-the-ground, military standpoint”: When I Joined the Military, I Thought We’d Learned the Lessons of Vietnam. I Was Wrong.
- “This one is a damning must-read of how corrupt and incompetent the US war and relief efforts have been for over a decade”: The US Carefully Documented Its Total Failure in Afghanistan for 12 Years
- “And finally, here is amnesty’s statement of what the biden admin should do. i found this helpful bc i have been asking myself since the weekend, like “what can be done at this point?” and i think amnesty laid out some very clear, very actionable things the US govt can do”: Every Moment the Biden Administration Does Not Course Correct in Afghanistan Could Have Horrific Consequences
- How US-Funded Abuses Led to Failure in Afghanistan
- “[I’ve also been] discussing not defaulting to US imperialism / white savior complex when discussing Afghan women, girls, and people. And not stealing their autonomy and claiming them as victims in the name of ‘saving them.’ Here is footage from Al Jazeera of women staging a protest in Kabul, for example.”
- What Women’s Advocacy Groups Worldwide Are Doing For Women In Afghanistan
It's crucial we don't lean into a false narrative that Afghanistan women and girls lack agency.
We can still sound the alarms without undermining the power of women and young people. https://t.co/gnnZWHO77f