Welcome to "Ten Days of Top Tens," in which we say goodbye to 2010 by reviewing the year that was. Because we spent this year in front of our computers typing words for you, many of these top tens will be a tad self-indulgent. Resist the urge to recognize it as such.
Today we will pause to consider numbers and the beauty of a well-written title.
Fun fact! Did you know that when you write articles for places you almost never have to write your own title? I learned that back when I was working the "poetry reading" and "underground theater" beat for The Michigan Daily, and then later when I saw my articles published in magazines and online under the weirdest titles ever. I liked that. Not being the one who had to write the titles.
You guys titles are hard. Ours are really long. Like REALLY LONG. Everybody else claims to be "bad at titles." But I like it when other people write titles/I have a 'title intern.' Every now and then we/i come up with something so terrible/AWESOME that we can hardly even exist anymore.
GUESS WHAT TIME IT IS? Teachable moment time!
Have you ever heard of Search Engine Optimization? Of COURSE you have. It's the devil, it's ruining the written word and destroying the English language. Unfortunately we lack the tools to overthrow this oppressive oligarchy and therefore must participate, albeit reluctantly, in their little games.
We blithely ignored SEO for a significant period of time when Autostraddle launched in 2009, making random titles and using whatever words we so pleased. And then one day Webmaster Tess sent us another email about our SEO failures. The headline of her email, interestingly enough, effectively operated to make everybody read it, just like a good headline would do.
We were subsequently warned that if we did not shorten our titles or include at least two "key words" in every title, the following would occur:
If you guys start to ignore SEO or churn out bullshit titles, I’m going to go into your post and fix it and I don’t have good grammar. In other words I will motherfuck your post.
So if you ever wonder why we use "gay" and "lesbian" more than "queer" it's because of the patriarchal search engine optimized internet. We have a dream that one day when you search "lesbian," Autostraddle might be one of the first 10,000 results. I believe we could hire someone to make this happen but we have no money, I'm eating peanut butter crackers right now for dessert.
Anyhow, enough, let's get on with it!
2010 In Headlines/Titles and Search Terms and Numbers
2010 Autostraddle Index
Total Amount of Posts, Including Team Picks, Published in 2010, Thus Far: 1, 462
Number of post titles containing the word "fuck": 31
Number of "fuck"-containing post titles authored by Riese or Rachel, respectively: 13, 11
Number of post titles containing the word Gay: 210
Number of users who found Autostraddle by searching for Jillian Michaels, Jillian Michaels Girlfriend, Jillian Michaels Lesbian or Jillian Michaels Gay: 27,430
Users who found Autostraddle by searching for "girls in short shorts" or "hot girls in short shorts" or "hot girls in shorts": 25, 727
Users who found Autostraddle by searching for Adam Lambert: 13,411
Lady Gaga: 3,223
Tegan & Sara: 2,765
Lindsay Lohan: 2,417
Number of times the name Jillian Michaels has appeared in a post's headline: 3
Lady Gaga: 45
Adam Lambert: 26
Lindsay Lohan: 25
Tegan & Sara: 16
Girls in Short Shorts: 1
Posts by Rachel in 2009 and 2010, respectively: 9, 206
Team Picks by Laneia containing the word "These" or "This": 4 (This Cat Video, These Cashews, THIS PHOTO, This Fireplace DVD).
Total Page Hits in October 2009: 250,598
Total Hits in October 2010: 1,200,535
Our Top 10 Favorite Titles of 2010 on Autostraddle.com
1. Miley Cyrus Kissed a Girl, No One Liked It
2. At Some Point This Week, Lindsay Lohan will Organize Some Clothing on TV
3. Day 6 of the Prop 8 Gay Marriage Trial: OurChart – You’re [Cross-Examined] On It
4. This Week in Bisexuality: We Are All Made of Megaslut
5. Fisting, Comment Awards.
7. Real L Word Picked Up For Season Two, Ilene Chaiken Hates Us
8. Adam Lambert Too Gay To Function In Malaysia
9. Dear Harry Potter, We Are Lesbians And We Love You
12. Jennifer Beals is Overall Better at Life Than You, Prettier, More Holistic
13. What If This Headline Made Something Up About Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Breaking Up
14. Gay Equality Will Require More Imagination, Less Talk of Buttsex
15. Jillian Michaels: First Lady to Ever Come Out in “Ladies Home Journal”
16. Read a Book, You Stupid F*ck
17. Apparently Everyone Just F*cking Loves Us Now
Top Two Favorite Search Engine Term That Led Someone to Autostraddle:
1. lesbians that look like justin beaver
2. i hate taylor swift
Number of times Rachel has written about DADT in 2010: 49
Top Ten DADT-Related Headlines [Or Rachel's feelings about Don't Ask Don't Tell, Chronicled Via Headlines, In Chronological Order]
1. DADT Repeal: We’re Still Unsure What the F*ck is Happening
2. The Long Slow March Towards A DADT Repeal: A Story Told In Screenshots
3. Oh My F*cking God, Another DADT Roadblock, What Is Wrong With You People
4. Judge Orders Suspension of Gay Soldiers Discharge Under DADT, For Real
5. What The DADT Injunction Really Means: Something, or Nothing, Time Will Tell
6. What The F*ck Is Happening With DADT: Discharges Are Possible Once Again, Maybe
7. DADT Repeal Stalled In Continued Push Towards National Mediocrity
8. “Democrats Lean Towards Caving On DADT,” We Lean Towards Screaming From Our Eyeballs
9. Dems Will Push DADT Repeal, Hoping For Last Minute Comeback, Magical Study
10. High Court Keeps US Gay Military Ban Intact: Life Without DADT Was “Fun” While It Lasted
11. BREAKING: Senate Blocks Don’t Ask Don’t Tell Repeal, Gays Lose, John McCain Wins
12. Once More With Voting: We Hold Out Hope for DADT Repeal on Sunday Funday
13. DADT Superstar Dan Choi Breaks Down as DADT Repeal Bill Runs Its Final Lap
14. SENATE REPEALS DONT ASK DONT TELL ALL CAPS
15. Senate Repeals DADT: Holy Sh*t, DADT Repeal? It’s Still a Thing!
Best URL of all time: