Welcome to the next installment of the not-so-weekly music fix! This week in music, Spotify finally launched in Australia and so I've spent the past 48 hours making playlists. As well as listening to/watching these cool things, which I think you might enjoy:
Metric's New Song, "Speed Collapse"
Metric's new album, Synthetica, is dropping next month (June 12!) and the band have given you another little taste of what's to come.
Does anyone else think that "Speed Collapse" shares a similar groove to Synthetica's first single, "Youth Without Youth"? Is that just me? Regardless, I really dig this track and don't want to listen to anything else today.
New Video: Gossip's "Move In The Right Direction"
The Gossip's new music video for "Move In The Right Direction" is my favourite clip of the year so far. I think the appeal is partly the typography and partly Beth Ditto's BAMF-ness, although the song is pretty great too. Check it out.
Have you heard their new album, A Joyful Noise? I tend to agree with everyone who's said it's a little more Material Girl than Riot Grrrl, but think it's definitely worth adding to your iPod.
Missy Higgins Watch: In The Studio
Here's a new behind-the-scenes video of Missy Higgins making magic in the recording studio and talking about her upcoming album, The Ol' Razzle Dazzle. I enjoy the way she says "intricate little maneuvers" as well as what's going on with her hair right now.
The Ol' Razzle Dazzle is out on June 1 in Australia and July 17 in the USA and elsewhere.
* The Austin City Limits line-up has been announced and it's not bad at all.
* The Scissor Sisters' new album, Magic Hour, is out today! If you haven't already heard, Azealia Banks features on one of the album's stand-out tracks, "Shady Love".
* Speaking of Azealia Banks, her new EP 1991 will be available digitally on May 29.
* Regina Spektor's new album, What We Saw From The Cheap Seats (out May 29) is streaming in full over at NPR and it's as rad as I'd hoped it'd be. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros' new album, Here, is also streaming.
* Aussie duo An Horse have announced a Canadian tour with Brand New.
* If you listen to loud music then researchers think you probably also smoke a lot of weed and have unprotected sex.
* Someone finally located the bridge from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers song "Under the Bridge." I just found this really interesting.