feature image by Jasika Nicole for Design Sponge
I floated this idea to Thursday’s AAA readers and at least four people agreed that it was a good one, so now it’s being born. I want to create a gallery of kitchens that belong to queer people and I need your help! Check out this handy FAQ and then get to photographing!
1. What is a kitchen?
A kitchen is a space, no matter how big or small or narrow or bright or outdoors or in or covered in cat hair, where you prepare food.
2. What is a queer person?
A queer person is human who identifies as not straight. If you don’t like the word ‘queer’ just pretend it says the word that you do like — lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, asexual, sapiosexual (jk that is not real), gay, faggy, fresh as fuck, etc. If you don’t like the word ‘person’ just pretend it says the word you do like.
3. Do you want us to be in the photo?
I do, actually! I’d love that. You don’t necessarily have to be in it, but I think all your other queer person-reader friends would appreciate seeing another queer person staring back at them from their electronic screen situation. I know I do. Please be in your photo!!
4. What about my dog? Should my dog be in the photo?
5. My kitchen is messy and weird and I really don’t like my cabinets and my stove is old and crusty. Should I still do this?
Yes, same here. And yes, you should. See below.
6. Do you want a closeup of my favorite bowl of limes? Or a shot of the room?
The whole room, or at least one wall’s worth of the room, you know? Like the kind of angles you’d see in a home tour on Design Sponge perhaps. But I really really want you in the shot! Please!
1. Take a high quality picture of you in your kitchen. This is doable with most smartphones, so don’t worry if you don’t have a fancy DSLR. You know what else works and is super fun? Disposable cameras. Just saying. I am just saying to you. That disposable cameras work. And are fun. Ok.
Photos should be between 1024-3024 pixels wide so they’ll look nice on a full screen. Please don’t send anything smaller than 1024 pixels wide.
2. Send your picture and info to me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject QUEER KITCHEN. Please include the following (technically optional but highly desired) details!
A sentence or two about your favorite thing to prepare OR how you feel about your kitchen OR your most prized kitchen item.
I reserve the right to edit your sentence/s for length or spelling errors. (I’m a pretty good editor though, so.) Your photo will appear in a full screen gallery on Autostraddle.com — the main site, not A+ — and might be used on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr) to promote the gallery. If you don’t want your photo to appear on social media, please make a note of that with your submission. You reserve full rights to your photo. Photos will not be used to promote anything other than this exact gallery, and will not be used in any other future post.
It’ll look something like this, but larger:
See I took this picture just last night, in poor lighting and my sock feet, without even tidying up the room! Then my phone fell from its perch on the staircase and scared the dogs. You can do this, surely.
Deadline: January 15, 2017.
Leave any questions in the comments!