February’s Queer IRL gallery was AMAZING. I was worried interest would taper off or that you wouldn’t want to share such a personal space, but Queer in the Bedroom opened nearly 170 doors straight into our hearts. Y’all are creating vaults of honesty and connectedness and I know that sounds hokey but fuck it, it’s TRUE, and now it’s time to make another!
Join us, won’t you?
March’s Gallery Theme: Queer on a Friday Night
What are you doing this weekend?
So far we’ve grabbed a snack in your kitchen and read some books in your bedroom, but what are you up to on a Friday night? Maybe you’re home (like me, as I type this, surrounded by doggos and eating plantain chips) or maybe you’re out and about. Maybe this is what you do every Friday night or maybe it’s a once in a lifetime situation (yes I know that all situations are once in a lifetime, don’t you think I know that?). Maybe you’re alone or with friends or surrounded by bees. Whatever you’re doing, I want it in this gallery!
1. Take a high quality picture of you on a Friday night. This is doable with most smartphones, so don’t worry if you don’t have a fancy camera. You know what else works and is super fun? Disposable cameras. Just saying. I am just saying to you. That disposable cameras work. And are fun. Ok.
Photos should be between 1024-3024 pixels wide so they’ll look nice on a full screen. Please don’t send anything smaller than 1024 pixels wide.
2. Send your picture and info to me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject QUEER FRIDAY. Please include the following (technically optional but highly desired) details!
Location of the night
A sentence or two describing either how you spent that Friday night, who was with you, or why that night mattered.
I reserve the right to edit your sentence/s for length or spelling errors. (I’m a pretty good editor though, so.) Your photo will appear in a full screen gallery on Autostraddle.com — the main site, not A+ — and might be used on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr) to promote the gallery. If you don’t want your photo to appear on social media, please make a note of that with your submission. You reserve full rights to your photo. Photos will not be used to promote anything other than this exact gallery, and will not be used in any other future post.
Deadline: Sunday, March 26
1. What is a Friday night?
A Friday night is the time between approximately 5pm Friday and 3am Saturday.
*UPDATE* Perhaps it’s the time between 5pm Friday and 12pm Saturday? Yes, perhaps it is.
2. What is a queer person?
Queer people are lesbians, bisexuals, queer and otherwise-identified women, trans and non-binary folks.
3. Do you want us to be in the photo?
I do, yes! Yes please! I’d love that. You don’t necessarily have to be in it, but I think all your other queer person-reader friends would appreciate seeing another queer person staring back at them from their electronic screen situation. I know I do. Please be in your photo!!
4. What about my friends or my pets? Should they be in the photo?
5. My Friday nights are boring or poorly lit or full of straight people. Should I still do this?
Yes you should! Every night is interesting because you’re alive in it, you can always find a clever way around bad lighting, and listen, straight people are everywhere.
6. How sexy can we get here? Also tell me about your nudity policy.
We shan’t show nipples, genitalia, or simulated or actual sex. Sex toys or nude art are totally permitted.
Deadline: Sunday, March 26
Leave your questions in the comments and if you have an idea for a future theme, let me know! email@example.com