Lizz has been Autostraddle’s resident fashionable human since 2011, basically the dawn of time. In her tenure, she’s brought you life-changing fashion experiences like Style Thief, Queer Outfit of the Week, and Lizz’s Latest Thing, which she somehow turned into an opportunity to talk about Naya Rivera and beavers. She’s also captained fashion show coverage, one million shopping guides, 18,000 fashioncaps, suggestions for what to wear to every single event on Earth, and found you a bunch of sweaters with cats on them. When Lizz isn’t picking out leggings, putting together layouts of bowties and recapping your favorite shows all at the same time, she somehow makes room in her schedule to be a full-time med student.
Lizz is looking for some sharp-dressed, fashion-forward, smart, creative, funny and visionary people to contribute to Autostraddle’s fashion coverage and ongoing world takeover. If this sounds like you, keep reading!
Who We’re Looking For:
Autostraddle is looking for fashion writers who can cover one or more of the following stories/areas:
- Seasonal photo shoots
- Plus size fashion
- Different interpretations of garments/outfits along the spectrum of gender presentation
- DIY style and fashion
- Fashion-themed lists, like this one
- Pop culture fashion in movies, TV, etc
- Rockabilly, skater style, punk, and/or alt fashion
- Workplace wear
- Maternity wear
- MoC fashion beyond dapperness
- High fashion/runway show coverage
- Hair stuff! Cutting your own hair, styling your own hair, etc
- Video tutorials! Especially for makeup and hair!
We’re especially interested in bringing on fashion writers who are currently running their own fashion blogs or have experience writing about fashion. If applying to be a video tutorialist, you need to be able to edit videos yourself, and if you are planning on doing your own photo shoots, relevant photography and shoot style experience is required. Experience working in the industry is a plus, but is not required. We welcome crazy things! Get wild!
Those applying for this position must be web-savvy, a strong communicator who responds to emails in a timely manner, and have impeccable grammar/spelling.
We are looking for regular fashion coverage or columns AND/OR quarterly fashion shoots with own camera AND/OR video tutorials. You can apply to do one of these things or several of these things. Frequency for these varies from twice a month for regular fashion columns or videos to once a month/season for original fashion shoots.
- Online fashion writing experience (personal blogs count)
- Solid knowledge of at least one area of fashion and overall knowledge of the fashion industry
- Knowledge of and familiarity with all things Autostraddle
- Comfort with social media
- Comfort with having your photograph & name on the internet
How to Apply:
Send resumé (PDF), cover letter (in the body of the email) and at least two relevant writing samples to lizz [at] autostraddle [dot] com and cc: rachel [at] autostraddle [dot] com. If you have relevant video tutorials or photos, send those too!
Your cover letter should answer the following questions:
- What’s your availability?
- Why the hell do you want to do this?
- What area of fashion are you an expert in?
- 2-3 clips/specific posts that highlight your best work (should highlight fashion knowledge and writing style)
- If applying to be a video tutorialist, submit one example video
- Concrete description of a regular, if pitching a regular, and 5 proposed column entries under that regular.
We can’t wait to hear from you!
Deadline For Applications: 11:59 PM on Sunday, February 9