I flipping love Thai food. My go-to Thai dish is green curry, but I'm dating someone who has an addiction to Pad See Ew and this has motivated me to learn a vegan recipe which I will now share with all of your faces. I was pleasantly surprised to discover how simple this recipe is to make and I love that it incorporates basil, one of the herbs I've had the best luck growing in my window garden.
PAD SEE EW
Adapted from a Honest Cooking recipe
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tsp. palm sugar
3 Tbsp. light soy sauce
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1 package dry wide rice noodles
20 leaves fresh basil
1 16 oz firm tofu drained and diced
1 head of broccoli, rinsed and cut
Notes: You can throw in whatever veggies you want to suit your palate. You can also use different types of rice noodles, just make sure you follow the directions for how best to cook whatever noodles you use.
1. Cook noodles by boiling water, removing water from heat, dunking noodles in hot water and then rinsing noodles. Put noodles aside.
2. Mix together garlic, sugar and soy sauce in a small bowl.
3. Heat oil in a wok or sauce-pan over medium-high heat. Add shallot and cook approximately 30 seconds. You'd better stir this or you are totes gonna burn it.
4. Add prepared sauce, heating until sauce begins to boil. Same deal re: stir or burn.
5. Add noodles, basil, broccoli and tofu stirring in sauce for about 5 minutes until broccoli becomes tender. STIR, STIR, STIR!
6. Please eat this ASAP.