Okay ‘Straddlers, I’m going to level with you. This recipe is not very healthy. And it’s not very practical, as it’s frozen, so you can’t really take it anywhere. The ingredients put kind of a dent in my food budget, which I justified because I had planned on making it as a birthday present BUT THEN it was so delicious that I kept “tasting” it over and over “to make sure it was still fresh” and then the container was so full of guilty little scoop marks that I had to give my friend something else. Live and learn.
All that said, it’s summer where I am, and this is refreshing and the color of sunbeams and allows you to say “mascarpone” over and over again like the cheesiest gondolier (“mass-car-POH-nay”! Not this way). It’s also not very hard to coax into existence. Here’s how you do it.
20 oz heavy cream
2 tbsp sugar
8 oz mascarpone
10 oz lemon curd (~1 jar)
You will also need: an electric beater or whisk, a very large bowl, and a zester. An ice cream maker is not strictly necessary, but is helpful for maximum creaminess. PRO TIP: chill your metal accoutrements (beater attachments, whisk) for a while before using for maximum efficacy.
- Pour the cream and sugar into a bowl and beat/whisk it until it thickens up and soft peaks form.
- Add the mascarpone in dollops. Continue beating between dollops until it’s all incorporated. Tasting at this stage is fun if you like pretending to be a really wealthy cat.
- Add the lemon curd! Stir it in realllllly well, especially if you’re not using an ice cream maker — if it separates out, it’ll sink to the bottom while it’s freezing.
- Zest all the yellow off one of those lemons and add it to your potion.
- Juice that lemon right into the bowl. Then juice the other one too. Give it a last stir.
- Choose your own adventure time! Here’s where you turn it over to your ice cream maker, if you have one. If you don’t, put it in an airtight container and stick it in the freezer overnight! It’ll be less airy, like a frozen custard, but no less delicious.
Give it to your friend for her birthdayEAT IT ALL YOURSELF. It’s delicious, especially with fresh fruit or a fruit-based sauce.
Happy summer everybody!